Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dance1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
    Location of Bathroom fan
    I am installing a bathroom fan in an existing building. The ceiling is concrete so I can not put the fan there. It is easy to put it on the wall next to the ceiling over the tub/shower. I will install it so that it is GFI protected but am concerned that the fan may have to be a certain distance from the tub to meet code. I can find no direct reference to this in the Alberta code but lights, switches and recepticals each have their distances from the tub. Am I OK? Assume Alberta Code is similar to US National electrical code.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 01:37 PM
    As long as the fan is GFI protected, and high enough or located to be out of any direct spray of water, you should be fine.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
    You could ask your inspector. With fans it's about rust. I have fans at the top of the walls at the edge of showers (they are rusty but 40 years old).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do wire up a bathroom fan through a GFCI plug to a fan timer switch? [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a Broan model# QTRE070C ceiling fan in my bathroom. I'd like to wire the fan through the GFCI plug to fan timer switch. The fan isn't going to be directly over the tub/shower enclosure but in the center of the bathroom ceiling. If it's not directly over the tub/shower will I still...

Evaporator fan or condenser fan location [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Maytag plus side by side and I am troubleshooting a cooling problem on the fridge side; freezer is at -15 degress while the fridge is at 55 degrees. I suspect the evaporator fan, but to keep everyone clear is the evaporator fan in the freezer and the condensor fan under the...

My fan in the bathroom leaks water onto the floopr the fan is ask a plumbing question [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my ceilng fan in my bathroom leak water on the floor

Bathroom Outlet Location [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a new bathroom. During the electrical rough-in I placed the outlets over the vanity at the same height as our other bathroom which gives me a height of about 7" from the vanity top. There will be double sinks in the new room and I have roughed for two outlets which...

View more questions Search