Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Gas prices. ***?
    Someone please explain the reasoning behind gas prices. I don't understand the increase, decrease, increase, bigger increase, even bigger increase etc...

It seems like it increases every Holiday. Who's pulling the strings?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 12:03 PM

The left is causing an artificial shortage by blocking new refinery construction and new drilling where there are known reserves in order to drive up taxes and payoffs to not make it even worse.

If it was the MAFIA it would be called extortion... but when the democrats do it its called business as usual.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    The left is causing an artificial shortage by blocking new refinery construction and new drilling where there are known reserves in order to drive up taxes and payoffs to not make it even worse.

If it was the MAFIA it would be called extortion.....but when the democrats do it its called business as usual.
    That's interesting since what you say goes against all the facts:

Name:  gas.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  51.9 KB

But don't let the facts get in the way of your political ideology. :)
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 12:34 PM

Really, the fact that there hasn't been a new refinery built in the USA in 30 years... or the fact that Obama has blocked drilling in MOST places we know we have oil...

Or are you talking about the "facts" the Oil Industry haters in the DNC want pushed? Off Florida. ( you know where the CHINESE are now drilling but we aren't allowed to) .on Federal Land... In Alaska, off the West Coast, North Dakota.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    ..or the fact that Obama has blocked drilling in MOST places we know we have oil..
    So how did gas prices soar to hit their highest peaks (much higher than now) during the Bush years?
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 12:40 PM

You do know Bush wasn't an omnipotient king... and the left was blocking it back then too.

The refineries are at full capacity now and can't do more... ANYTHING that happens as a resault will cause problems because nobody else has spare capacity top make up for anything.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Dude you're funny. :D
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Dude you're funny. :D
    Hey had to point that out... certain people seem to think he was.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2010, 02:26 PM
    it is true that fuel prices are pushed by available refinery capacity, but the greater push is coming from the demand of developing nations, China will double its demand in the next twenty years and you can expect base prices to be beyond $100 a barrel in the next year. When you couple this with the falling value of the $US you will pay a lot more for fuel. Blame your politicians for this because their policies have caused the situation. There is nothing else for it, vehicles have to become more fuel efficient and there have to be less journeys made. What I find ridiculous is that fifty years ago we had a family car that would return 40 miles a gallon and we have lost that ability because pollution control modifications and the obscession with heavier vehicles. This is a zero net sum gain
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    So how did gas prices soar to hit their highest peaks (much higher than now) during the Bush years?

Its because in times of old gas / oil was controlled by the oil companies. And we had cheap gas. The estimates today of $1 a gallon gas had it not been for 1 little thing. Gas and heating oil etc was moved to the commodities market and therefore drove the prices up in an artificial way. If it were returned to the oil companies then we wouldn't have as high a price to pay. Then again they would have to control us in other ways. I personally would like to see it return to where it used to be and to strip it from the commodities market. Diesel gas should be cheaper then gasoline because its more of a by product and gasoline shouldn't be mixed with alcohol as it causes you to use more of it not less.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2010, 04:59 PM

Gas and heating oil etc was moved to the commodities market and therefore drove the prices up in an artificial way.
    yup there is much speculation . But another factor not considered is the one that explains the rise in precious metals... the value of the American Dollar .
    Networking Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 05:49 PM

But why does it seem to go up during every Holiday? Is that because we're expected to drive more and the demand is higher?

I apologize but I am not educated in politics, or anything to do with this!
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2010, 07:02 PM
    Itstudent yes prices fluctuate with demand and there may be a sprinkle of opportunism
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Itstudent yes prices fluctuate with demand and there may be a sprinkle of opportunism
    I sprinkle??

We are getting peed on. Lol
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    . But another factor not considered is the one that explains the rise in precious metals....the value of the American Dollar .
    Hello IT:

Tom hit the nail on the head, but he didn't go far enough... In the SHORT term marketplace, there are shortages and overages depending on local demand and holiday travel. That'll effect local short term prices.

However, the LONG term price of oil hasn't really gone up. The price of the dollar has gone down. Consider, that when I was a kid, I could buy a gallon of gas for a silver quarter. THAT silver quarter will STILL buy me a gallon of gas, and I'll get some change back. So, the price of oil in terms of GOLD or SILVER, or even real estate for that matter, hasn't changed.

The phenomenon that created this plunge in the price of our dollar is inflation.. The fed is inflating the economy right now. I'd buy some gold if I were you.

excon
    Networking Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 07:36 PM

I'm beginning to understand.

1. Don't travel during Holidays.

2. Buy lots of gold!! ;)
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    I'm beginning to understand.

1. Don't travel during Holidays.

2. Buy lots of gold!!! ;)

Don't forget to bring that arm and leg with you when you do have to fill up.

:)
    Networking Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 07:55 PM

Damn it. Not my other Arm and Leg. I lost a set filling up the car today!
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2010, 11:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    Damn it. Not my other Arm and Leg. I lost a set filling up the car today!
    Stop complaining when you pay more than $5 a gallon let's have this conversation
    Networking Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 06:25 AM

I'll complain whenever I want to. If you think that just because you pay $5/gallon everyone else paying less should be considered lucky then you're twisted. You should probably move or buy a different car (not sure why you're paying so much)

I am not going to feel better about this just because I know somewhere out there some dude is paying $5. That's tough luck for you, you were short strawed buddy!

The thought of me only paying $3.19 but you paying $5 doesn't matter. It doesn't change my situation and certainly doesn't put gas in my cars.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lower gas prices. [ 1 Answers ]

Okk well I have ato do a wrighting promt about if you were to become a mayor for one day what will you do? I put on my piece of paper that I would lower gas prices... Now that I put that I don't know how to write it as a paragraph on how would I lower gas prices... Can somepne plzzz help...

Lock in natural gas prices? [ 5 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to lock in natural gas prices for the coming year (calendar year 2009)?

Electric vs gas prices [ 2 Answers ]

Will an electric water heater definitely cost more than a gas one? On your utilities bill.

Gas prices [ 20 Answers ]

Hey everyone who happens to see tell everyone you not to buy gas may 15 te gas prices are $3 and almost evey where so do your part and for all thoes who remember in like 1997 or so no one got gas on the 15th and the price of gas went down alsmot $.30 so do your part and don't by gas thank you

View more questions Search