Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samnaik_23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 03:41 AM
    Income tax rebate on housing loan
    I have taken housing loan from my office in the yr.2002 for flat under construction.I have already started deduction from my salary for the above loan.I have taken possession of the above flat in the current yr 2007. Shall I get income tax benefits for the accrued int.ffrom theyr 2002.If yes or no then pl. explain in detail
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Jan 11, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by samnaik_23
    I have taken housing loan from my office in the yr.2002 for flat under construction.I have already started deduction from my salary for the above loan.I have taken possession of the above flat in the current yr 2007. Shall i get income tax benefits for the accrued int.ffrom theyr 2002.If yes or no then pl. explain in detail
    Generally interest paid for mortgage interest is deductible. Since your are a cash basis taxpayer, accrued interest is not deductible until paid. Exactly what a house loan is should be reviewed to determine if the loan's interest is deducitble.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Agreed!

You can only get the interest deduction for interest paid, not interest accrued!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculation Income Tax for Housing loan [ 2 Answers ]

How to treat Housing Loan, LTA for computation of income tax,

Income Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I lived and work in NJ for 25 years. I recently moved to SC, but kept my job for a NJ hospital working from home. Will I have to file income tax returns to NJ and SC?

Income Tax ? [ 2 Answers ]

In the never ending debate about Income Tax I have a question. If there are over 22 thousand pages of Tax Code and if a Direct Tax in unconstitutional, how can anyone get the right answer? I seriously doubt if even the judges and the IRS themselves fully understand the true meaning of these...

Tax Rebate for my Spouse [ 1 Answers ]

I was in US for the full year 2005 on L1 Visa and my wife could join me only in the month of Jan,2006 as she was expecting and the paper work for the new born in India could only be completed by Jan,2006. Can I claim tax exemptions for both of them.I don't have any SSN or ITIN for my spouse and...

View more questions Search