Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Dec 28, 2010, 10:59 AM
    I have a decorating question, hmmmm :-/
    Maybe I should post it in the "movie" section in arts and leisure.. It's about a media room and how to get it as sound proof as possible. I have done much to it already and would love tell you what and get more advice... Thanks so much in advance :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 28, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Soundproofing could go under Home Improvement, but a decorating section sounds like a good idea.
    Feel free to Answer below and say what you have done so far to soundproof.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Dec 29, 2010, 08:02 AM

Thanksss so much Joypulv for taking the time to answer my question. Xo

Okay well so far we've put this soundproofing wall up (looks like drywall but different). We put that over the drywall and my husband is adding a textured sandy "paint". It's not mixed in with the pigmented paint so we'll have to paint the walls with color after he's done with the texture. We're having carpet installed instead of flooring because that should help in soundproofing. The carpet guy is coming to measure in the new year... early and it should be installed within the next couple of weeks. I was thinking of putting an additional area rug over top for more absorption. We have to install drop ceiling due to having our plumbing up above us, so I hope that won't hinder the soundproofing. The couches should absorb sound as well and we'll have about 4 of them in there when done.

I was also going to staple gun some batting on plywood and then cover with fabric, making large squares in a symmetrical design. Not sure about the color yet. I notice that movie theaters have those on their walls. It's very aesthetically pleasing and looks like graphic design, however it's helpful in absorbing sound from what I've been reading.

The room was built without windows as it was always meant to be a movie room.

The carpet is beige (cus it's cheaper to go with what the store has much of). Not sure if we should do the walls the same color (remember it will be textured... ). We'll be putting ceder "slats" every 5 feet around for added wall design and a matching "guard rail" (.. is it called?) along the 3 walls surrounding the wall that has the screne.

Hope my description is visual. It's hard to explain the wood surround.

I notice in many theater décors they have something called "tray ceilings" which we won't have and they do a lot of architectural details with the walls. We're attempting to do our cheaper version of detail, however our focus is on soundproofing.

We live in an "A-frame open concept kinda home" so accoustics is always an issue. Eco can be a challenge if the TV is on in the basement and someone is on the computer in the loft... This is why we had to build a media room. A room with A DOOR lol. :D

For the exception of all the bedrooms and bathrooms there are NO doors.

Did I give a clear picture of the situation? Hope so. Any feed back or ideas.. Thanks so much xo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blonde to Brown. Hmmmm? [ 3 Answers ]

Well I have ash blonde hair to be exact.. and I want to do my hair dark brown or brown and I heard that you have to mix a color in order for you to get that dark brown when you dye it or else its not going to work.. and if you don't mix that certain color its ganna come out green? So does anyone...

Hmmmm looky here [ 2 Answers ]

Has anybody ever played the game called " psychonauts" by tim shaffer?

Decorating [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have put washable plain white paper on my front room ,which paint will be suitable for washbowl paper normal paint won't stick ,please help ,thank you

Friends Or WifEy?hmmmm :/ [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a lesbian:D and I have a lot of stright female friends.:D 1 by 1 they keep telling me they like girls but its only because of me.:confused: They want to experiment I guess and I don't know what to tell them I have a girlfreind we have been together for a year now and I love her these are...

Hmmmm. Close? [ 17 Answers ]

well, I was with my girlfriend last night spending time together like we usually do.. we talk watch movies and stuff :S and last night when I was leaven we where standing talking at her door... some how she randomly said that she wanted to get to know me better and get closer to me before we moved...

View more questions Search