Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    banksant Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 10:05 AM
    Laundry Tub move
    I want to move my laundry tub over by about 3 feet, so I can place my washer and dryer side by side. I do have a copper pipe that runs directly up from the floor under the sink for the small plastic tubing that goes into the copper pipe and into drain. This is for water release when the taps are on in the drain to prevent drain odors. Is it OK to just lengthen the plastic tubing so it still reaches the pipe once I have moved the laundry tub, or should I extend the copper piping to the new sink location? (This would then have a right angled turn in the piping.)

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 10:52 AM

Your sentence makes no plumbing sense "I do have a copper pipe that runs directly up from the floor under the sink for the small plastic tubing that goes into the copper pipe and into drain" If you mean you want to lengthen the horizontal drain pipe the answer is yes but you must have a 1/4" pitch per foot. In this case, 3', you have to angle the drain down 3/4" to the downstream side. Will there be issues with the washer and dryer, they need to be hooked up too.

Dec 28, 2010, 11:44 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry the incorrect sentence should have be written
    “ I have a copper pipe that runs directly up from the floor under the sink”
    If I move the sink over the plastic tubing will not be directly over the copper pipe. So I have to either lengthen the plastic tubing or extend the copper pipe. Yes I do realize I have to re plumb all the other fittings, waste piping, and water pipes etc to fit the washer.
    Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 12:26 PM

Hi Banksant:

Extend the plastic drain pipe... easier.

If the vent to the sink will be more than 5 feet from the sink after you relocate the drain then you should also relocate the vent fitting in the drain line and reconnect the vent back to the old vent.

Mark

Dec 28, 2010, 03:09 PM
    Thanks so much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry tub backup [ 1 Answers ]

When I run my garbage disposal, it ( the waste) comes up in my laundry tub. A real mess, I don't use the g/d anymore due to this problem. Also, laundry tub is used for my washing machine drain, my hose goes over the side of sink.Tub nearly overflows when I run washing machine, drain is very slow....

What do I need to do to move my laundry to the garage? [ 10 Answers ]

My laundry is located in the kitchen, a little room has been created that makes the kitchen and the laundry cramped. The garage is just on the other side of the laundry/kitchen. I wanted to move the laundry to the garage. I want to make a small room inside the garage that. Problem is that the floor...

How do I install a laundry tub? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I install a laundry tub? Thanks, Rick

Waterproofing a laundry tub [ 8 Answers ]

I have what I believe to be a "soapstone" laundry tub. (It looks like it is made of 1" thick rock-type material . . . definitely not plastic or anything like that.) It was undoubtedly installed when the house was built - so is approximately 40 years old. I noticed that when I wash...

Laundry Tub Drain [ 1 Answers ]

There is currently no water access in my basement. I recently purchased a double laundry tub for which I need to establish a drain line. The attached picture shows one of the main house drains descending from the first floor. I can cut in a wye into the vertical portion of the drain just...

View more questions Search