Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joek88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 08:29 PM
    15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment?
    I need to know if I can convert a 15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment (temporary). The plug on the equipment has one fin turned perpendicular to the other. Is there an adapter for this?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 02:48 AM
    You take the risk of overheating the 15 amp cord with a 20 amp load on it, depends on what "temporary" is.

No, there is no adapter to convert a 20 amp plug to a 15 amp plug
    dkelch1529 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2009, 02:36 PM
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/122776-REG/Furman_ADP_1520_ADP_1520_Power_Adapter_Cord.html
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Opps looks like I was wrong, some dumbass company does make the damn thing.

So much for looking out for the welfare of persons and property.

So I had to ask the manufacturer the question, is the unit UL Listed.

A copy of the email thread, with my personal info deleted:

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:31 AM
    To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: FW: UL Listing of a product

TK,

The ADP-1520 no longer has a UL listing.

Thank you,

Christos Desalernos
    Direct: 707-766-2352
    Toll Free: 800-472-5555, ext 2352
    Mobile: 707-753-1069
    Fax: 707-763-1310
    E-Mail: [email protected]

PANAMAX/ FURMAN
    Power Management Solutions

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:58 AM
    To: CustomerRelations
    Subject: UL Listing of a product

Is the part # ADP-1520 UL Listed?

Thank you,

TK
    XYX Company
    Office Telephone:
    Email:

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG - AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Real-time protection against viruses, spyware and malicious websites
    Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.100/2375 - Release Date: 09/16/09 05:51:00

So at least UL recognizes that this unit can cause various electrical failures, worst being fire.

This unit is not allowed to be used, legally in the USA. And most likely Canada.

This, when used by qualified people, such as stage and studio crews, it helps, when loads are known and fixed, and types of outlets are unknown or often rated 15 amp, and is a great tool. Of course, most real studios are wired beefy to handle the inevitable "need more power" for stage acts.

Small clubs with two outlets the cleaner uses to furnish power to an act with a large, too large,light show, plus sound, can overload residential, or even commercial grade wiring and systems.

Use of this by anyone that does not have even the basic understanding of electricity is dangerous.

ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Sep 17, 2009, 11:31 PM
    I have also seen devices like these sold in camping stores. (Suppose you have a camper with a 60 amp service, but the site service is only 30 amp service)

As the previous posters have said:

1. These items are dangerous, as you are trying to force extra current through a circuit that was not designed to handle it.
    I HAVE SEEN FIRES CAUSED BY USING THESE DEVICES
    2. They do not carry an underwriters listing.
    3. They should not be used by un-trained personnel.

Also, before you even ask... NO, you can not just simply cut off the 15 amp plug (the one with two parrellel blades) and install a 20 amp plug.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 18, 2009, 06:03 AM

Just go pick up the right extension cord and not a cheapy. There is a reason for it, and if you doing all this to find the right adaptor you may as well pick up the right extension cord.
    sierra2000 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 08:22 AM

Isn't the danger posed by the NEC itself? A cord with a 15 amp plug would be plugged into a 15 amp receptacle which would be protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker.

But the NEC allows 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp circuits. Furthermore, 20 amp receptacles are configured to accept 15 amp plugs. It doesn't make sense.

I suspect that the adapter cord mentioned above has conductors rated for 20 amps, so that the only 15 amp part of the cord is the plug. Which brings up a question I've always wondered about. Can a 15 amp plug/receptacle safely carry a 20 amp load? In other words, is a 15 amp plug/receptacle rated at 15 amps only because of its configuration or because it is also unable to safely carry a higher load?

I know that manufacturers wouldn't use more material than necessary to meet the rating but at some point that is overruled by the durability factor.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 18, 2009, 09:10 AM

Isn't the danger posed by the NEC itself?
    NEC puts that information out for a reason.

A cord with a 15 amp plug would be plugged into a 15 amp receptacle which would be protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker.
    Because 15 amp power on a 20 amp is under power, NOT over power. The cord is not in danager of overheating and causing fire/etc.

I suspect that the adapter cord mentioned above has conductors rated for 20 amps, so that the only 15 amp part of the cord is the plug You suspect that?
    Why? The cord is rated as it is, not what it is suspected to be rated at. The plug?
    What part of the plug would be the issue? Asking this in such a way to help you understand.

Can a 15 amp plug/receptacle safely carry a 20 amp load? In other words, is a 15 amp plug/receptacle rated at 15 amps only because of its configuration or because it is also unable to safely carry a higher load? If a wire rated/gauge is used for 15 amp, and you put a 20 amp device on it, it can over heat that extenstion, and depending on what you are using on it, may keep tripping your breaker - not nice thing to do to it repeatedly. There is different material for different uses. In this case, would you put a heater that calls for 30 amp on 15 amp breaker? No - that breaker should trip if it is working properly, but if you put it on an extension cord that is not rated at the same amp, then the extension itself can cause problems, and you just have a series of problems, and not nice possibilities.

You also do not want to wire a smaller gauge wire to a higher rated breaker for pretty much the same reason. The device you use on it, even if it is smaller will draw what it needs from the line, even it's it lower - but to wire a lessor gauge then the breaker amp/wiring is a no - no.

The person above should just get the right extension cord. Why look for an adapter instead of looking for the right cord?
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Sep 18, 2009, 10:50 PM
    But the NEC allows 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp circuits. Furthermore, 20 amp receptacles are configured to accept 15 amp plugs. It doesn't make sense.
    True, but a 20 amp plug will not fit into a 15 amp receptacle. If your equipment uses over 15 (but less than 20) amps, it is required to have a 20 amp plug. The 20 amp plug is designed so it will not fit into a 15 amp receptacle.

If the 15 amp receptacle were protected by a 15 amp breaker, all you would do is trip the breaker when you exceed 15 amps. But if the 15 amp receptacle is installed on a 20 amp circuit, then you can cause a fire with this device.

The NEC allows 15 amp receptacles to be used on 20 amp branch circuits because most portable equipment does not draw over 15 amps. As I said before, if the equipment draws over 15 amps, it will come with a 20 amp plug from the factory.
    sierra2000 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 03:32 PM

If it's OK to wire a 15 amp receptacle to a 20 amp circuit, then is it OK to wire a 30 amp receptacle to a 40 amp circuit?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 04:43 PM

No, it is not permissible. The NEC clearly states that if any part of the circuit is listed as 15 amp, then the entire circuit needs to be configured as a 15 amp circuit.
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Sep 19, 2009, 05:39 PM

I work in audio and video, live sound etc, and we have sold these adapters. Like a previous post stated, when touring acts go from place to place, they might need 20 amps. But in some situations, there isn't 20 amps. So they might reconfigure so that 15 amps will accommodate. Besides for these guys, if they don't configure property, they'll keep popping that 15 amp breaker. I'm not an electrician, but I am a professional sound engineer, so I happen to know, just get the proper extension cord.
    donec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Often a 15 amp receptacle is put on a 20 amp circuit to allow more than one device to use that circuit so that you can for example use a device that draws 6 amps and a device that draws 10 amps safely from that circuit and receptacle combination. If you want to run a device that draws 16 to 20 amps from a 15 amp receptacle that is connected to a 20 amp circuit breaker then you must make absolutely sure that the circuit breaker is not being used for anything else. In other words if you have a dedicated circuit that is fed with a 20 amp circuit breaker and proper wiring then you can install either a 15 amp receptacle or a 20 amp receptacle for the circuit. That means that it is safe to run a less than 20 amp device on a 15 amp receptacle only if the 15 amp receptacle is fed as a dedicated circuit for that plug only.

Oct 18, 2010, 07:38 AM

Donec,

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, not to mention that this thread is over a year old.

Please visit the NEC. In that you will find ampacity limitations for multi outlet devices. For example, if you are using a dual 15 amp/125 AC receptacle, you are limited to 12 amps across the entire circuit.

If you are using a 20 amp breaker with 12 AWG cable, then you are limited to 16 amps for the entire circuit.
    donec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 10:07 AM
    With 30 years in the field I believe I do know something about what I am talking about and not just quoting rules some one else has posted. There has been more discussed here than the original post. If the thread is so old why are you bothering to attack a post to it? Don't you have anything better to do than attack others?

Oct 18, 2010, 10:19 AM

First, I am not quoting rules someone told me.

They are in the 2008 NEC, would you like me to get the cites for you?

Oh, wait a minute, you have 30 years experience, you already know the code sites.

I "corrected" not "attacked" your response because it was wrong.
    slyguy61520 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 02:42 PM
    So long as you are plugging it into a 20 amp circuit you are still OK using it. I have 1 and it is ul listed.

Jan 13, 2011, 10:06 AM

Sly,

Yes you can physically plug it in, however, with a 15 amp wire in the circuit, you would have to change the breaker to a 15 amp breaker.

This is about fire safety. A 15 amp conductor cannot handle the heat generated by 20 amps.

Also, if an over current situation develops, a 20 amp breaker will not trip fast enough to protect against insulation degradation or protect the devices on the circuit.
    slyguy61520 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 10:49 AM
    When a person goes into a house and the breakers are 20 amp and the wire is #12 the outlets are normally 15 amp residential grade and it always passes inspection. Also food for thought if a dedicated 20 amp circuit is run with #12 wire say to a microwave it is supposed to be a 20 amp single receptacle per NEC code.

Jan 13, 2011, 11:03 AM

Well gee, that's because the receptacles have been listed for 15 or 20 amp usage.

The problem is not the receptacles, it is the size of the conductor.

A #14 AWG conductor is listed for 15 amp. A #12 AWG is listed to 20 amp.

If you insert a #14 AWG conductor into a #12 AWG circuit, the entire circuit must be dropped down to 15 AMP.

Not only is it in the NEC, it is also in building codes and Fire codes.

So basically it is the law!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a 5o amp disconnect circuit for a piece of cooking equipment [ 1 Answers ]

I concerned about the cost of running #6 wire/ for a 3ph 50 amp disconnect. I know wire cost has increased substantially within last year or so. What should I expect as a cost for a job of this type-5-6 hours---30-40 feet run?

20 Amp 110V Locking Plug adapter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a core drill with a locking plug, 20 Amp/110 V, which I hope to use at any location, not in a single shop. I would like to know if it is possible to find an extension already built to handle this for use at any location (with a non-locking, standard 3 wire male end)....

Bang & Olufsen Equipment [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 1972 BEOMASTER 1200 and BEOGRAM 1500 turntable, i.n.o.r. Is anyone interested in these items as a collector ?

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

Ceiling Fan light cord & Fixture [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Hampton Bay Ceiling fan that has been working fine for a year or so. There are two questions I have for anyone who can offer assistance: 1. The light cord doesn't work. Well, actually, it works sporadically, but rarely. When I pull the cord, it seems to not catch whatever it's...

View more questions Search