Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mocha81 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Jan 10, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Online dating
    Would you recommend online dating if you were about 8 hours away from the other person? ( I fixed up the question since some were confused )
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Honestly, I would not recommend it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2007, 08:06 PM
    It is just a method of meeting people, like going to the laundry mat or going to a bar or night club. You can expect most people to lie about who they are, what they do for a living and esp if they are married or not.

And of course people often give out too much info online that they don't give in person.

The worst part of online dating is that in too many cases the two people live two far apart, 100's or 1000's of miles and can only see each other in person a few times a year, which is very hard, But it can work great but in those relationships it is hard to go for longer periods and normally one party will move faster to be with the other.

If you are in college and want to meet other people in your college area, you can use all sorts of sites, from myspace to just chat areas for your college.

I meet my wife online, on a chat area, had no plans on "dating" just chatting after a few months of chatting we meet for a date and the rest was history. Married now 7 plus years. And we have many friends who meet their spouse online including a lawyer, and doctor.
    For many people esp professionals it is hard to "date" or meet people outside of your work to date, esp those of the educational level or other standard you may have. The internet opens an entire new world.

Of course as I said there are a lot of nuts, out there to beware of.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2007, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mocha81
    Would you recommend online dating if you were going to college where that other person lives? Not for reasons that the other person is there though.
    Maybe I'm having a moment, but I don't get this question. Why would you date someone online if you lived where they live? Couldn't you just ask them out? And wouldn't the fact they are there be a good reason?

I'm sorry, I'm really confused.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 03:00 AM
    I was confused to but I gave the question a shot.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 07:30 AM
    While I can't speak for the person, but the term online dating is often used for merely the finding of the person by using online dating sites,
    Or even a site like this where one poster sees someone else and chats with them, then decides to start "dating" that dating can be just online at first but in all cases to be real dating it moves to a physcial meeting.

For college age kids, it should not be that hard for real life finding someone, but for others, it gives you a chance to find that person who has similar interests ( those long walks on the beach thing) without having to actually meet and talk perosnally to as many people.

Even in long distance online dating, the idea is to actually meet in person also

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Online Dating [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have any experience with online dating?  Does it work well?  In particular, has anyone tried www.online-dating-personals.com ? Thanks

Dating online [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All, I have recently started to correspond with a Russian lady. The more I think about it the more apprehensive I get. After the physical appearance (I have to fancy someone in the first place), I am trying to consider the personal compatibility (psychological, emotional, type traits). I...

Advice on online dating sites [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everybody, I need some advice on what dating service I should sign up, looking around a found a couple of few sites like www.plentyofish.com and www.online4love.com as free sites. Anyone have any luck with free sites in the past. There are so many sites out there which ones are the best to...

From dating to friends to dating? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I met this guy about 9 months ago. After only going out a couple of times we started dating. It only lasted for about a month and he ended it saying he didn't think we had enough in common. Since then we have become best friends and spend a lot of time together. But we are...

Online dating - what do I say to her? [ 16 Answers ]

I have now been single for five years, before that I was in an 11 year relationship that when bust. Ready for dating but it's not so easy find dates for my age group in pubs and clubs. I have joined a dating agency. What do I say to get that first response? Tell her about myself, my hobbies;...

View more questions Search