Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 08:45 PM
    Brother in-law and wife's best friend?
    Here is the situation.

My brother in-law and wife's best friend both do drugs. The drug of choice varies from time to time but always includes snorting pills. Other drugs include cocaine and weed.

Brother In-Law
    Being I met my wife though her brother, her parents always assumed I knew what was going on as far as his drug use went. Needless to say I was dragged into the middle of this.

I have recently (tonight) tried to talk to him and explain my concern for the choices he has made and for the consequences I have seen him endure for his actions. But, he wants nothing to do with it. He turns it around on me accusing me of thinking I am better then him, saying he doesn't need help and that he knows his limits.

I truly am concerned because I have seen him go to jail, fail school, lose jobs over this. He is always making lame excuses as for the reasons he does what he does.

Wife's Bestfriend
    My wife and this girl used to do drugs together back in H.S. and shortly after. My wife stopped when she met me because I told her I would not be with someone who does it. This girl is constantly saying she quit but I (and my wife) both know she hasn't.
    My wife has posted a thread on here pertaining to her best friend before and I have included that in this post to try and enlighten those reading.

Link To Other Thread
    I thank you for your time!

Overview
    I suppose I am confused on where to go or what to do, if anything. Is this my place? Should I have interveined? I am a concerned friend to both. But I am lost right now as to what my next step should be.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 08:59 PM
    While it is heartbreaking to see people self-destruct, their path is a singular one, and nothing you can say or do, will see them change their path.

Both of them know very well what the consequences are, of their drug use. What they choose to do about it, is only up to each of them, individually. I doubt you were the first, or will be the last one, to try to 'talk some sense' into them.

You are in the unfortunate and unenviable position of both of these people, being closely involved with your wife. She too has tried to turn the tide of their behaviour from reading her post, and has not been successful either.

I always advise people to provide all the encouragement and support possible, when the drug user indicates that they are ready to change. Provide help with getting them to counsellors, doctors, rehab, detox, whatever it takes. Be there for them, when they actually take the steps to get help. But, you can no more make a person change than you can move a mountain. They have to take the steps themselves.

In the meanwhile, when you can avoid socializing with them, or being around them when they are high, do so. Protect yourself emotionally from becoming drawn into their lifestyle.

It is sad to see good people unable, or unwilling, to stop hurting themselves, and those they love, but, it is what it is.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 09:02 PM

Her friend is willing to change. She doesn't want to lose the friendship my wife has now ended (big mess at my house).

What's the best way to handle her? As she has come to me for help. (since my wife won't talk to her and won't believe her willingness to change)
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
    I would say that you and your wife, have to be on the same page about her.

The first thing I would advise you to do is find out what she's willing to do to help herself. She has to walk the walk.

If she is willing to see even her Doctor for help and referral, that is where to start. If she has previously been treated for addiction, her Doctor will need all that information to manage her care.

IF she makes some simple steps to show that she is sincere, then I would step in. Offer to take her to appointments. I don't know what kind of experience you have with someone about to detox, but it ain't pretty, and more likely than not, she will require medical assistance.

Depending upon the type of treatment options available to her, it is probably a good idea for you to familiarize yourself with what type of treatment she will be receiving. You will have to learn how to cope with the different stages, including physically, and particularly with relapses.

For now, be certain that she is taking steps to help herself. Until she does, it is not possible for you to help her; she must start this journey under her own steam.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife's male best friend pt. 2 [ 51 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for seventeen years. We have had a good marriage but I admit that a couple of years ago I got wrapped up in work and was not always attentive to her or our daughter. I’ll be the first to admit that it was wrong and I know that I will never do it again. My wife had...

What relation is my wife's brother to me? [ 4 Answers ]

What relation is my wife's brother to me?

Wife's male best friend [ 23 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for over a month now. We met each other 13 months ago through an internet service, the one with all the bells and whistles that matches you on so many dimensions… To the point: She has a male best friend; they have been very close for the past 6 or 7 years. He...

I think my wife's friend likes me. How can I be sure? [ 32 Answers ]

My wife's friend is always looking at me and asking if we could all hang out all the time. It makes me uncomfortable. We always get into arguments when ever I hang out with her. She always compliments my looks and ask questions about my where abouts. It make me uncomfortable.

Is my husband, my brothers, wife's brother- in law [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I'm married to my husband which makes my brother and him brother-in-laws. If my brother gets married, my brothers wife becomes my husbands sister-in-law, right? And if that's true, why isn't my brother and my husbands brother, brother inlaws. It seems like they would be closer related because...

View more questions Search