Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayland Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 06:19 PM
    My New Cambridge Electric Fireplace(stove) Squeaks
    Just got myself a Cambridge Elecrtic fireplace, and when I have the lights on (flames) I can hear a sqeak squeak, like a wheel having to turn.
    I no nothing about Electric fireplaces, and I'm wondering if they're suppose to squeak when the fake flames are going. It's very distracting, and I'm wondering if there's a part that needs some oil or something?
    Help

Thanks
    Jay
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Is there some sort of wheel spinning inside? That is most likely what is causing the leak, and could use some oil.

Jan 10, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Thanks for prompt re-ply!
    Not sure what the components are inside, should I unscrew the back and take a look?
    I guess my question is do fake fireplaces squeak?
    And if not what should I do?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 02:52 AM
    Sure, open it and take a look, what can it hurt? As long as the power is disconnected there should be no problem. There must be some sort of mechanical component in motion causing the noise.

Jan 11, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Thanks Russell for your time. Looks like I bought a lemon, the heater started to make a loud grinding noise while I had it on today. I could smell something burning, and noticed evrytime I turned the heat off and on I would notice a flash of Fuzzy lines on my T.V.
    I bought the fireplace at a final Price store and therfore can't take it back. I don't care that the heater doesn't work now, because I bought it for looks. I guess I''ll just have to take the back off and spray some WD40 or whatever its called.
    I bought this Fireplace to be able to sit down and lay back and relax after a hard day's work, and I have been doing thee opposite. Stress out, trying to get answers for a fireplace that is probably worth throwing in the garbage right about now!
    Anyway's thanks again

Jan 11, 2007, 02:57 PM
    So, I had decided to call the 1-800 # on the back of the unit. I was on hold for 45 minutes, and they recommend taking the back panal off and to lubricate the rod in the back for the flames.
    I also brought up that the heater sounds like it's on the way out, and they just said to have it repaired on my own.
    So, I guess I have one last question on this topic... what would they charge me to have a heater replaced inside this fireplace? Anyone know?

Thanks
    JetfireK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jayland
    Just got myself a Cambridge Elecrtic fireplace, and when I have the lights on (flames) I can hear a sqeak squeak, like a wheel having to turn.
    I no nothing about Electric fireplaces, and I'm wondering if they're suppose to squeak when the fake flames are going. It's very distracting, and I'm wondering if there's a part that needs some oil or something?
    Help

Thanks
    Jay
    Hello My Dimplex electric Fireplace is squeaking loudly. It sounds like wheels are turning inside does anyone know what can be done to stop these squeaky noises? It's a new fireplace... Help...

Jan 18, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Just unscrew the back and take the panel off and spray some wd40 on the rod that turns.
    Mine doesn't squeak anymore!:D
    Sherryluv5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 05:09 AM
    My Brand new fireplace is doing the same thing. Sound like a rust rotissere. I will try the w-d40. If that does not work, Heat works fine and log glows but that noise! I paid too much for this. Luckily Amazon will replace! Thanks for the tip on lubing!
    OntarioMom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 07:29 PM
    I just got a Cambridge unit and it sounds like something is grinding like wheels turning or clicking when the flames are on. I will try the WD40 tomorrow.
    DIYMommyof4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2011, 11:31 PM
    I have a Muskoka Electric Fireplace Insert and after two months it, too, was making that annoying machine noise. I removed the back panel and from what I could tell, the noise was being made by the flame unit (as PPs have mentioned). WD40 didn't work for me, though, as I couldn't exactly tell where to put it. I'll describe the set-up below and what I did which seems to have solved the problem:

The movement of the flames is produced by the rotation of metallic strips attached to a tube. The tube is inserted on a "spit" (I'm sure there is a technical term but I am a novice at DIY... ) and the spit is turned by a motor. Anyway, the noise appeared to be coming from the vibration of the tube and the spit together. The tube is held on the spit by a cotter pin. I tightened the cotter pin and the noise was gone! It's been an hour and so far, so good.
    miniskunk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2012, 08:28 PM
    I would recommend against WD-40 in an electrical appliance unless you are oiling far from the motor. It is very flammable. Try a light weight machine oil to lubricate where the rod meets the side panel. I used something called Liquid Bearings to quiet my noisy electric fireplace. It is a synthetic oil used for lubricating small mechanisms like clocks, door locks, or even firearms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Stove + 30 Amp Breaker? [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a 20" electric stove in a "Granny Unit"... The stove is going where there used to be a dryer. The wiring (for the dryer) is there including a 30 amp breaker. Does a stove of this size need a 50 amp beaker? Or, can I use the existing 30 amp breaker? I want it to be safe...

Electric fireplace assist [ 1 Answers ]

I have radiant heat in my house, but the upstairs room (approximately 11' X 19') is a little chilly. The construction is new 2X6 walls with good insulation. There are many windows, however, and the ceiling is cathedral. I am interested in raising the temp about 5 degrees or so for when I am...

Installing a Electric Stove/Oven [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing an Electric Stove/Oven unit that is not up against a wall. There are cabinets on either side of the stove and a counter for eating behind the stove. I have my wire coming up through the floor behind the stove for the plug. The stove has a downdraft exhaust fan (exhaust fan is under...

Tips for preventing future squeaks? [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to install fresh 3/8" plywood over the original 3/4" tongue & groove planking to give me a smooth and solid surface for the final lauan and sheet flooring in my 5' x 9' bathroom. Here's my question: In order to avoid any possible squeaking in the future would it be advisable to...

View more questions Search