Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GabrielAskme Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2010, 04:17 PM
    10 % penalty vs nonrefundable credit
    I have a 10% tax penalty on the taxable portion of an early distribution from a variable annuity, since I am not 59.5 years old yet. I also have an education credit of $2500 of which $1500 is nonrefundable but I have no tax liability against which to offset it, except for the previously mentioned 10% penalty. My tax software does not allow me to use the nonrefundable credit against the 10% tax penalty. Is this a software mistake or the way it should be?

What is the rationale behind this 10% penalty?
    The money I contributed to the annuity is after tax or tax free, so it is a non-qualified contract. The earnings will be taxable regardless if I withdraw now or after I retire.If I withdraw now, I will defer taxes for less time and pay more taxes, since my tax rate during retirement will be lower. Why the penalty on top of all that?
    Thank you so much,

Gabriel
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 12:10 PM
    Gabriel:

No, it is NOT a software mistake. The 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty is a punitive tax levied to discourage people from cashing their retirements in early. This being the case, this tax is due even if your deductions, credits and exemptions completely offset all income and you have no other tax liability.

In short, the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty can in no way be mitigated by other credits, deductions or exemptions.

Now, if the annuity was funded with after-tax money, then you should only pay the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty on the EARNINGS from the annuity, not the initial amount invested. You can show this using Form 5329 to differentiate between your initial investment and the amount distributed. If the amount distributed is LESS than the investment amount, then there should be NO 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.
    GabrielAskme Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 06:07 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Thank you!. So this means that this 10% penalty would apply even if earnings from the annuity were not taxable due to my being a non-resident alien for tax purposses,am I right? I was a resident for 2009 tax year so I paid both incometax and penalty
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 08:20 PM
    Now we have to look at the tax treaty between the U.S. and your home country, if there IS such a treaty.

So what IS your home country?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nonrefundable Pet Deposit? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a rental property in California and was wondering about making pet deposits non refundable, or is that against the law?

Nonrefundable Pet Security Deposit [ 1 Answers ]

I am interested in renting a home. The landlord advised I'd have to give 1 month's security equal to rent and a nonrefundable $500 deposit for my dog. Is this allowed? If my dog does not damage, why shouldn't I get my $500 back? Has anyone heard of this?

Knowing which credit bureau is being checked when you apply for credit/Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Which credit cards use only the trans union credit report for their cc applications? this knowledge may help me save part of my universe>:D

Besides the annuity penalty does the IRS add penalty for removing money [ 1 Answers ]

I am removimg money from my 401k plan & the annuity is assessing me a 8% penalty. Is the IRS going to penalize me as well or is it just categorized as ordinary income?

Nonrefundable security deposit (PA) [ 10 Answers ]

Is it legal to have a nonrefundable security deposit in pa? I am trying to find a way out of my lease, but I am not sure the best way to do it. They say I have to give 3 months notice and pay 4 months rent as a fee. That would equal about $2000. They might have called it something besides a...

View more questions Search