Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etindall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 03:34 PM
    My ex husband left my step son with
    I have raised my 10 yr old step son since he was 5 months old I have also raised my husbands sisters kids since they were 3 months and 13 months old I have had all 3 children for 10 yrs my husband has walked out on us 3 times in the last 5 yrs he has left all
    3 children including his bio son each time he has met a girlfriend and after knowing her 10 days moved in with her he now along with his sister are trying to take the children away from me.what can I do
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 24, 2010, 03:45 PM

Get an attorney. But this is going to be an up hill battle. You actually have no legal standing to be taking care of any of the three children. Without that you have no right to keep the children at all.
    MrPayne Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Dec 24, 2010, 05:01 PM
    OMG! I'm so sorry to hear this! I agree with the "uphill battle" assessment. I, too, faced the same issue when my ex-wife filed for divorce in 2000. We had been married 9 years at that point and I had been a father to her biological son who was a few months old at the time of our marriage. I made a major mistake in that I never legally adopted him. So, once she filed for divorce, she cut all ties off and sent him to live with his grandmother in another state until everything boiled over. After undergoing a full-blown Child Custody Evaluation (we have 4 biological children), I received primary physical custody of the 4 children, but the court's hands were tied with all matters concerning him. By then, my ex had pursued his biological father who, prior to then, had zero contact with the child. It was a court nightmare. The judge very sternly told her if she was "any kind of mother with a heart" she would see to it he spent significant time with "his father" - and the Judge very kindly looked at me and said, "I'm very sorry, Sir. I agree with you that he is your son, but there is very little a court can do in this matter." I didn't seen him again after that until he was 18 1/2 - he now comes to visit me as often as he is able as we live in different cities. The sad part is he spent very little time also with his brothers and sisters who remained in my care - but, reunions are awesome and they enjoy his visits as well.

All hope is not lost though, seek legal counsel - who knows what a great attorney and moral judge may swing - children are always worth the battle! I wish you the best!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband left me for another woman can I keep our son from spending time with him a [ 2 Answers ]

My husband left me for another woman can I keep my son from being with him and his mistress/

Husband seeks custody of step-son [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is desperate to gain custody of his son with his ex-wife. His ex-wife is a drug addict with just about every charge on her record that you can imagine. She still has custody of the kid. This is really sad!! A couple years ago, she not only had him in a motel room with drugs, but the...

Husband adopting step son [ 3 Answers ]

I was reading another lady's question about her husband adopting his non biological son. My question is very similar, however, my question is... the biological father was never there, NEVER signed the birth certificate, and my son has MY maiden name, and I have NO idea where this guy is to even...

Loving husband needs adoption papers for step son [ 1 Answers ]

Please dose anyong have paper they can email me blank in posable I need them I can not find them online anywhere I can trust!! My husband is going to adopt my son he is the best dad ever his real dad signd the paper giving up his rights now I just need the paper for adoption:rolleyes:

Husband wants to adopt step-son [ 6 Answers ]

My son is 5 years old and his biological father is in jail and has been since I was 6 months pregnant. My new husband came into our lives when he was 10 months old and has since been his only father. Well after many years of discussing it we have decided for him to adopt him and my son legally be...

View more questions Search