Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    belgia Posts: 40, Reputation: 8

Dec 24, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Can someone have me committed?
    I have a question. I have been evaluated and do have some bouts of depression but not as bad as they used to be and I am NOT suicidal. I have to wait for my insurance kicks in to get therapy. I know what my issues are. Some from unresolved childhood and adult issues and some require behavior modification. I know this. My "family" says they have diagnosed me and want to have me committed. How is that possible? I know I cannot go through treatment and have contact with them. It would not be beneficial at all and I think that is what they are more upset about. They are under a lot of assumptions based on their own issues/illnesses and self diagnosis. It is confusing but true. I need to be accountable for me. Can they do this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 03:09 PM

How old are you ? Are you living with family ?

And of course you have self diagnosis also and you believe yours is right and theirs is wrong.

If you are in the US, you can get mental health treatment though local centers normlaly based on your income and ability to pay. So not getting a treatment is really not an excuse.

But each state has its own rules on family getting you committed for evaluation. So if they meet those requirements, they can have you sent for the intitial evaluatoin
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 03:09 PM

They cannot have you committed unless you are a danger to yourself or others.

Dec 24, 2010, 03:26 PM
    I do not have a diagnosis yet so I do not know what it is. I know what some of the issues are by my behavior. Those have been brought out in other therapy sessions. I do not know a concrete diagnosis other than some behavior requires modification which we were working on before my family stepped in with their thoughts. At 17 my mother said what the psychiatrist told me was bull**** and 2 years ago my parents said they called the center and I do not exist so they did not believe I was in treatment. I know they would not give out that information but I felt threatened and did not go back. Besides my insurance stopped because of a job change. I do NOT live with family. I live alone quite well, calmly, and independently and work full-time. I do not do drugs (never have), no alcohol, and take only a prescription drug for when I had my thyroid removed. The ONLY thing that makes me anxious is my family.

Dec 24, 2010, 03:28 PM
    I was told by the center after I went in for an evaluation to come back in when my insurance kicks in?
    I do not drive but the center is next door to me.

Again the assumption came from u that I am self diagnosed. This is not true. I was determined both times I have been in therapy that I have some depression but other issues that cause it stemming from anxiety which we were getting to.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2010, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by belgia View Post
    I do not have a diagnosis yet so I do not know what it is. I know what some of the issues are by my behavior. Those have been brought out in other therapy sessions. I do not know a concrete diagnosis other than some behavior requires modification which we were working on before my family stepped in with their thoughts. At 17 my mother said what the psychiatrist told me was bull**** and 2 years ago my parents said they called the center and I do not exist so they did not believe I was in treatment. I know they would not give out that information but I felt threatened and did not go back. Besides my insurance stopped because of a job change. I do NOT live with family. I live alone quite well, calmly, and independently and work full-time. I do not do drugs (never have), no alcohol, and take only a prescription drug for when I had my thyroid removed. The ONLY thing that makes me anxious is my family.
    You are self sufficient, live on your own, employed, clearly lucid and have been previously evaluated and advised to return when insurance is available. I can see no possible basis for an involuntary commitment.

NOTE: I responded to this question earlier and don't see the response?
    Basically, echoing J_9 observation of the standard for involuntary commitments. Here is a link to my original response: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/mental...d-86642-2.html

Dec 24, 2010, 04:08 PM
    I appreciate your response. I was thinking this was the case based on what I had been told in previous counseling but I have 2 member of my family calling me to tell me otherwise. I have not had contact with them for quite some time but they call me.

They are not aware that I have gone in for another evaluation but I did tell them that I am being helped quite sufficiently on my end. They want to be involved again. My therapists do not believe this is helpful.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 04:11 PM

To reiterate what J_9 said, no one can commit you unless you are a danger to yourself or to others. Just tell your pushy relatives, "Thanks for worrying about me. I'm working on it."

These relatives are probably part of your problem. They're starting to be part of mine! Respond to them in vague terms.

Dec 24, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Thank you. I appreciate it. Less anxious now. : )
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 04:18 PM

Actually, you sound totally delightful. Continue on with the plan you've outlined here. And pop in on this board to keep us up to date with how things are going. We won't be pushy! :D

Dec 24, 2010, 04:22 PM
    Will do. Thank you. And uhhh... my family hates vague anything so even though I know I do not have to disclose all to them and I do not... the phone calls just keep on coming. Any more, I just do not answer it. LOL.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 04:26 PM

Hey! You're busy with Christmas. Too bad they need details. Tell them the story of "The Three Bears." Or tell them your counselor (me -- and I am one) has told you not to divulge details right now, not good for your recovery.
    Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 10:08 PM

I completely agree with Wondergirl.

Tell them that you appreciate their concern, but this is something you have to work out for yourself. Don't be negative toward them, but it's important for them to know that this is something that you feel "uncomfortable" talking about at this point.

Dec 24, 2010, 11:41 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Yes that has been done. That is part of my problem. I am NOT assertive enough with them. "the caretaker" Part of what I have to change. I am on the road. I'm not, by nature, negative or an easily angered or upset person as it is. I wake happy! TY
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 25, 2010, 12:05 AM

We're rooting for you, belgia. Please keep us informed as to how this is going.
    Expert

Dec 25, 2010, 12:16 AM

You have us on your side Belgia! 1

Stay positive!!

Dec 25, 2010, 03:44 AM
    Thank u all for your feedback. I appreciate it. Bless u. Good will in the New Year.

Jan 6, 2011, 10:16 PM
    Hmm. Bad news. Insurance is active. I pay 55.00 a week for full coverage insurance and therapy is not part of the package. In order for me to get covered therapy, I have to either go to the emergency room and lie about the severity of what is going on or ask for psych counsel in a way that would reflect that I am depressed to a suicidal atate or harmful? WHAT is that? I am better off where I am at. In the end, the solution would drain the social services budget for something that could be resolved in a MUCH more effective way. So, first I am told I cannot be deemed a valued patient without active insurance. Now that I have it, it is not worth anything. The alternative is to go to social services and act like an insane idiot. Gee, think I'll just read a book. Whole new meaning to "heal thyself".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 10:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by belgia View Post
    Hmm. Bad news. Insurance is active. I pay 55.00 a week for full coverage insurance and therapy is not part of the package. In order for me to get covered therapy, I have to either go to the emergency room and lie about the severity of what is going on or ask for psych counsel in a way that would reflect that I am depressed to a suicidal atate or harmful? WHAT is that? I am better off where I am at. In the end, the solution would drain the social services budget for something that could be resolved in a MUCH more effective way. So, first I am told I cannot be deemed a valued patient without active insurance. Now that I have it, it is not worth anything. The alternative is to go to social services and act like an insane idiot. Gee, think I'll just read a book. Whole new meaning to "heal thyself".
    There's another way. Many counselors have a sliding scale and will charge you based on your income, or at least will work out an agreement with you to pay so much a session. Some will even work out a bargaining deal with you -- he counsels and you, for instance, bake two dozen cookies for him for each session :) or teach him how to play bridge :).

Many times I accepted $25 or less per session or have even done a trade -- counseling for goods/services. The important thing is that you pay something, so the counseling has value to you.

Jan 6, 2011, 10:32 PM
    Well, the insurance has the copay of 25.00 not a problem. I still can't get them to pay without compromising my saneness. LOL. I am going to try one other place after I move. Strategy mode, as usual. Emotions in brick walls. LOL but not so funny.

Feel like I'm in some kind of weird movie or dream with the plot being this enigma of a journey minus the chick that dates a shrink because of the whole insurance red tape thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get someone committed [ 4 Answers ]

How do you get someone committed ? My sister is bipolar and is so up and down but will not stay in anywhere long enough to get the help she really needss.

How do I get someone committed? [ 10 Answers ]

Just that... how would I get someone committed?

How do I get someone committed? [ 22 Answers ]

My mother has had clinical depression for as long as I can remember but she has also been aggressive, threatening and vindictive for that long too. She does things to people in the family that I wouldn't even want to type here and then thinks that THEY are in the wrong. She is a threat to herself...

Needs to be committed [ 5 Answers ]

My brother's wife left him for another man several months ago. She came over to his house the other night and went into his bathroom and slit her wrists. He took her out to the emergency room and their doctor said he would not fill out a report if someone can watch her for three days and not to...

Having someone Committed? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know how to have somebody committed in the state of Florida if they are heavily in to Alcohol and are mentally declining and refuse to get help?

View more questions Search