Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calgirl58 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 07:54 AM
    Action Items on Agenda
    I serve on a non profit mutual benefit corporation in California. Very much a member driven organization. Our board frequently adds "action itmes" to the agenda at the least possible minute and then votes on them. Since they do not appear on the agenda, the membership has no way of knowing about the potential changes and of course the decision is made without member comment. Is this illegal or simply inappropriate?
    Calgirl58
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 24, 2010, 11:01 AM
    It's inappropriate. Your board needs bylaws. If you don't have them, put writing them on the agenda and vote on that, and then write them and vote to approve them, and so on.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 11:09 AM

In many states, depending on your state charter, it is also illegal. I am in Illinois and sit on a HOA. If we were to do what you describe it would violate state statute. We must give our members a 7 day posted notice of what is on our agenda for a vote
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 11:17 AM

It is obvious that the board uses this to pass things without debate. So have them pass a rule that they will not, or object to the next motion they do or ask it to be tabled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I alternatively plead an action for quiet title, an action based upon adverse [ 3 Answers ]

How do I plead a cause of action for quiet title based on a boundary dispute and then plead alternatively for title based upon adverse possession and then plead alternatively for prescriptive easement?

A agenda [ 1 Answers ]

Write a agenda for meeting with the purpose of formulating next year marketing plan for a brand of disigner clothing for men/women.Also write a brief minutes of meeting,imagining and summing up the proceedising.

Agenda [ 1 Answers ]

How do I write a meeting agenda? :D Thanks

Agenda [ 1 Answers ]

How do I write an agenda

Agenda [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need to write an Agenda about our meeting which is one group work about designing and 6 load devise for prothtetic limb, but honestly I don't know how should I write an agenda for this meeting and unfortunately I'm a chairman on next week Tuesday... Is there any body can help me?:(

View more questions Search