Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dannodamanno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 09:14 PM
    What is the range of a typical Home router?
    I am about to go wireless at my 3500+sq ft home. I have a new HP laptop. What type of router will I need to get the adequate coverage in my entire house?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 09:33 PM

According to the 802.11x protocol sheet. The following is the layout of the protocols and their affective ranges.

Standard-Indoor-Outdoor
    802.11a-115ft-320ft
    802.11b-125ft-460ft
    802.11g-125ft-460ft
    802.11n-230ft-820ft

These ranges vary greatly depending on a lot of things. Obviosuly obstacles within the house, ie: walls, stairs, doors, intereference from devices on the same frequency/bandwidth, etc...

What type of internet do you have? Cable or DSL? Do you have multiple access jacks for these internet connections!
    joeguest2 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 03:36 PM
    If you are having trouble with one wireless computer which is far away from the router you can get usb wifi adapters with built in directional panel antennas of pretty much any size. Check out the SuperPass 2.4 GHz 34dBm Panel USB Antenna 802.11b/g/n on eBay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Range hood venting in an airtight home. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a very airtight home (.4m3/h.m2@50Pa), and would like to put in a range hood that vents to the outside. I have a ERV (Broan ERV90HC), and it warns not to vent the range to the intake of the ERV, but I have also heard that venting the hood directly outside can cause enough negative air...

No dial tone on home phones when dsl high speed modem and wireless router is on [ 2 Answers ]

Using D-Link wireless router as gateway. My DSL modem connects to the wireless router I can get only dial tone and receive and make calls from my HP All-In-One Fax/Phone system when turned on. It is connected via a phone jack spliter that my DSL modem is attached to.

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Price estimate range on blower/fan for LP COLEMAN MOBILE HOME FURNACE [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a fixed income and need to know the approximate price range to Replace the blower/fan on the Coleman Mobile Home Furnace Model #7680A Series 856, 80,000 BTU /HR input 64,000 BTU Bonnet Capacity Blower Part # recommended are: 7670-692 Med. 7660 - 693 Med. 7670-693 Med. Over the...

Home on the range, where the deer [ 3 Answers ]

Well, I’m not looking to bump into buffalos, but I am planning to move from California to Pennsylvania, by renting a 16ft truck and towing my cute little car. Has anyone had a similar experience and would care to share with me? I'll travel on the 80 and I'm a bit worried about getting in and out...

View more questions Search