Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WriterGirl_15 Posts: 79, Reputation: -3

Dec 23, 2010, 06:48 PM
    Charity Help
    I want to host a special party where my friends and I can do craft projects to make dog chew toys, cat blankets, earwarmers, and scarves to donate to charity(ies). I was wondering if anyone knew of a good charity that would accept these donations (in the middle Georgia area)?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 07:07 PM

Assuming you are wanting an animal charity, have you checked out the humane society, many have stores in their shelters to sell items for fund raising.

Also selling the items on eBay and giving the money to a charity.

But then also any charity that has outlet stores could sue them
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 07:10 PM

You have an interesting mix of crafts. One would work for an animal shelter. The others would work for emergency or homeless shelters (although families in need have dogs, so the chew toys could work for the shelters). Check with the reference department at your library to find shelter contact information, and ask them if they are interested in your craft donations.

Dec 23, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Well I've checked out a few charities online but many won't accept clothing donations. Also, I have no clue where to start looking for the animal gifts.

I didn't come up with the project. My magazine party planner did. :) It's called a Heartwarming Party and it's from an old American Girl magazine - I'm thinking of doing it for my birthday.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 07:23 PM

I know in my part of GA, groups often have sales, both online and at walmart parking lots or other shopping centers.

You sell your own items then give the money to the charity you would like.

For example, as a pastor we operate a non profit, we work with kids and elderly. We often have sales, to help bring in money for our work,

Not sure how active you want to do.

Dec 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
    Well I'm not a legal adult so my parents don't really want me holding a sale. Plus I live on an armed forces base so there are a lot of restrictions. :( Believe me, I tried to hold a craft sale once.

Dec 23, 2010, 07:51 PM
    I'm thinking maybe I'll just take it all to Goodwill. I just found one nearby. :)
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 08:07 PM

While I love Good will to death for what they do, craft items and the such may not come too much use there.

Again parents have to help, are you doing this by yourself ?

Dec 23, 2010, 08:13 PM
    What do you mean 'by yourself?' My friends and I are doing the crafts, I'm doing the charity research, and Mom or Dad is going to take me to drop off the projects.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 08:24 PM

Part of the problem will be trying to talk to many of these over the phone, ** you seldom get past a secretary who is just being nice.

On Good Will, they go though and decide what to sell, what to throw away and what clothes items get put into bulk, they often sell off some clothes in bulk sale items.
    Trying to guess where you are at

Liberty Humane Shelter

For the animal items, this person may have some suggestions
    Home_Page

PALS
    Pet Assistance League of Savannah
    912-925-PALS

Save-a-Life
    912-598-7729

Pets Are Worth Saving (PAWS)
    912-754-6033

(912) 876-AHHS

Dec 23, 2010, 08:30 PM
    :\ Thanks for trying to help, but I'm not actually near any of those, and I can't tell you where I am. (Internet safety and all that. More kids these days use it than their parents think.) Thanks for the help anyway. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WriterGirl_15 View Post
    :\ Thanks for trying to help, but I'm not actually near any of those, and I can't tell you where I am. (Internet safety and all that. More kids these days use it than their parents think.) Thanks for the help anyway. :)
    Like I said earlier, call your public library's reference desk and ask for a list of area charities, then pick out one or more of those to contact.

Dec 23, 2010, 08:33 PM
    Yes, I know, I'm double posting. There's no edit button so bear with me. I forgot to say I'll probably just ask Dad to find a charity or something. He's the Internet wizard. ;) I just wish I could've found one on my own. :( I'm quite independent, you know!
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 08:33 PM

OK, was not thinking of this as "mid" Georgia,

But there is

Servants of the Good Shepherd,
    In Mableton Georgia,

OK it is the one I work for but we hold sales to raise money for both elderly, disabled and youth ministry

Dec 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
    To WonderGirl:
    I just moved here, so I don't even know where my library is. :O I have to find it soon though, since I simply cannot live without my weekly library trips!

Dec 23, 2010, 08:35 PM
    Um, no offence, but... I'm Baptist. I don't do Catholic. Sorry, but I just don't.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 08:39 PM

Since I am Lutheran , but do you know that in Atlanta, Catholic Charities, service any and everyone, they serve more non catholics than any other group.

Also Catholic Charities were the first one to be in LA when the flooding happened.

And to be blunt, and offended, charity is charity, they help homeless, elderly, hungry without worrying about their faith.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 08:42 PM
    To WonderGirl:
    I just moved here, so I don't even know where my library is.
    I'm sure they have a website. Just type in your town name and public library. Voilą!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 08:43 PM
    Um, no offence, but.... I'm Baptist. I don't do Catholic. Sorry, but I just don't.
    Catholic Charities helps anyone and everyone, even atheists. I worked for them as a counselor, and I'm Lutheran.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 08:57 PM

I work with several of the larger charities, for disabled people every day, and many of the other ones around Atlanta very often. If you start with an attitude that some charities are not OK, you need a real lesson in life and what charities do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charity for my family? [ 5 Answers ]

Is there someone out there that will help my son and I? We have no income now and our lights and things are due. I am fighting for disability, we are going to lose everything. His birthday is Dec 20th and I find myself asking for his birthday and Christmas that we are not homeless. Anyway, if...

Fundraiser and charity [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know on how coul I do my own fundraiser and charity on the hunger and the poor?:od

Charity at school [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm raising money for breast cancer campaign for my pshe corsework we have to raise money for out chosen charity so I'm doing breast cancer with two of my friends and anyway I was wondering if anyone had any tips that would help me sell more stuff then anyone else, like is there any think I can...

Charity organizations [ 2 Answers ]

In the area where I live there are the goodwill stores and I do not understand how these stores are regulated? One of the stores in my area has stuff piled up from floor to ceiling everywhere with do not touch signs. They are selling items in a small space and it seems everything that IS for sale...

Charity name [ 4 Answers ]

Which charity can I write to get help with finance help for low paid family, need to buy furnitures and a holiday and help with getting central heating installed

View more questions Search