Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cristinaq Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2010, 10:23 PM
    My curly hair was straightened by hair color being left in too long... HELP! Please...
    I hope this doesn't sound too far out. But, it is truly what happened in my case.
    I have pretty long curly hair, it goes down to the middle of my back. I have been home coloring my hair for approximately 10 years. I have not had much problem with damaged hair. I get my hair trimmed pretty regularly. I am always cautious of who I let put their hands in my hair. I had a few bad experiences with hair cuts. I use mostly salon hair care products and deep conditioners.
    A week ago, I got my hair colored at a salon. She was trimming both of my children's hair while mine was processing. First she cut my sons hair, then my daughter. She had my daughter set the timer for 20 minutes. Though I had the color in for just about that amount of time already during my sons haircut. The timer went off during my daughters cut but she continued cutting her hair while I waited. The color was in my hair from 40 - 60 minutes. Just a note we had the appointment at 3:30 and left at 6PM, I was the first one because she was coloring my hair and was going to cut my children's while it processed.
    After my hair was washed and rinsed I did notice on the right side close to my face my hair just felt different. But I didn't draw attention to it. Then when she was done we were getting ready to go I did mention how thin my hair felt but again didn't bring too much attention to it.
    Now, a week later about 8 inches from my scalp all over my head my hair is bone straight! I called my stylist yesterday to tell her of my concern and she said she hears that a lot this time of year because of lack of humidity and to come in because maybe she just needs to cut more layers into my hair.
    I was just like to note before I end this is that in our house we keep it humid because it is better for my hair and our skin at this time of year. Also, I don't use hair styling products in my hair because I simply don't need them. My regular routine that has worked for as long as I can remember is I wash and condition my hair in the shower before I go to bed at night. I towel dry by wrapping the towel around my hair about 10- 15 minutes then I fluff to break up the curls. And go to bed like that. When I wake up in the morning because of the humidity in the house my hair is dry and the curl is perfect. Sometimes I will spray a mist of water before going out especially because underneath at the back of my neck I get a kitchen and I use the water and my fingers to break that up. Right now my hair even back there is straight as can be. No more kitchen back there. No more dreadlocks anywhere. The only curl I have right now is where the hair color wasn't concentrated at the ends.
    That is my daily hair care routine. Simple but it has worked.
    Now, I hope you can give me the reason why the color straightened my hair and is it going to stay straight?
    I really look forward to hearing from you.
    Sincerely,
    Cristina
    babyblue1234 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Dec 29, 2010, 07:58 AM
    I had thick long light brown curly hair too, now it is short asnd has blonde highlights. When the hair dye is left in to long it starts taking over your hair and makes it go through chemical changes. This causes differences in your hair like a green tone or in your case,straight hair. Your hair most likely will never be the same but if you stay away from the dyes some your hair may and I don't know for sure but may get a little more curled,only time may tell.
    Franwashing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2013, 03:37 AM
    Christina,

We are alike. I have same story about having virgin hair that is very curly. Yesterday exactly what you described happened to me using Natural Instincts non permanent color. I have breakagebin places where my hair is 3 inches long only. It looks thinner and I am afraid the will break where the color stopped. I only pulled through the top of my head... But I am afraid. P,ease tell me how things worked out for you and how you coped? Others out there?
    Carla000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2014, 10:49 AM
    The same thing just happened to me. I had really nice curls that have now totally gone. I've had my hair dyed for years and haven't really noticed any changes until I used a few home dye kits and the curls wouldn't form properly. Decided to go to a different salon closer to my house (big mistake) and she left the dye on for 30 minutes, plus it had taken her at least 30 minutes to apply (my hair is below waist length).
    I had it cut a little and there are less layers, but still, something has changed drastically.
    It's been 4 weeks now of washing, putting mousse in, srunching and then using a diffuser but it just won't curl. It used to go into perfect spirals.
    So gutted, as I look dreadful with straight hair. I really thought this would have happened to nobody else when I just googled it and it's happened to loads of people. Haven't found any posts about how long it takes to go back to normal.
    Do you have to wait for it to just grow out? What if I get this latest colour stripped out? I don't know what to do.
    So unhappy with my hair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I grow my CURLY hair long and healthy? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I'm a 20 year old women and I have naturally, very curly hair. But. It is currently only about 3 inches longer then shoulder length. I would love to grow it at least 5 inches longer. But I still want it to be healthy and soft and shiny like it is now. I do not iron, straighten, curl,...

Will One & Only Color Fix fry my dry, fine, curly hair? [ 3 Answers ]

My stylist dyed my hair from med/blonde/brown to the darkest shade of brown imaginable. Almost black. My hair is porous, fine and the curl tends to frizz. She's afraid to use One & Only Color Fix on it and says it will fry my hair. Will it fry my hair? She used a permanent dye. I've been...

If demi hair dye is left in your hair too long does it go darker? [ 0 Answers ]

Today I tried to dye my hair with natural instinct but went I rinsed it out my hair color didn't change as much as it should. I have dark brown hair and I wanted to go lighter. Does the length of time you leave it in for effect the color it becomes?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

View more questions Search