Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jewelbeverly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2010, 08:06 AM
    10% Early Withdrawal Penalty and taxes
    I need to take $8,000 from my retirement money, and I earned $60,000. After I pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty how much money should I send to federal and Maryland for taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 09:27 AM

When you take the withdrawal they should automatically withhold 20% for federal taxes. As with withholding from your regular wages this is advance on what you may actually owe, which can't be determined until you do your taxes. The actual amount of taxes due on this withdrawal will depend on your filing status and adusted gross income. As for MD, this withdrawal is added to your ordinary income for tax purposes. The tax rate in MD ranges from 2% to 6.5%. So here's what to expect:

You will receive a check of $8K minus 20% witholding = $6400. You will owe 10% = $800 payable to the IRS for the penalty, plus perhaps 5% = $400 to MD for income tax. Thus don't plan on spending more than about $5K of the withdrawal, or you may be short of funds come April.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal penalty [ 2 Answers ]

I have been unemployed for 4 months and possibly have to take cash out of my 401K. I understand I can waive the 10% penalty tax if I used the money to pay for Health Insurance premium. Do I need to use all of the cash I withdraw to pay for the insurance to qualify for this exception, or can I use...

Penalty for early withdrawal of investment [ 2 Answers ]

I am 58 years old and have been on social security disability for 2 years. I withdrew some money from my investments and the bank coded the 1099 as an early withdrawal instead of disability withdrawal. I took my taxes to have them done and I am being charged 10% for early withdrawal. I...

Penalty for early withdrawal of 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I was laid off my current job after 7 years. I am 51 years old. How much will I be penalized for withdrawing my 401K?:confused:

IRA Early Withdrawal Timing for Penalty and Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

If I make an early withdrawal from my IRA, I know I will pay a 10% penalty and taxes on the money. WHEN do I pay these? Immediately? Immediately for the penalty and next April 15th for the taxes, or next April 15 for both? Thanks in advance. :confused:

401K early withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

This may sound like a stupid question, but, please understand that I am an artist -- not a money person. If you take an early withdrawal from a 401K plan, pay the 20% state and federal tax before receiving the disbursement, how do you claim all this on the tax form? Can you use the EZ forms or do...

View more questions Search