Washington
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2010, 07:23 PM

Basically your options are:

Buy a heat lamp

Or

Give the mom and pups to the shelter

Using lots of blankets is all well and good for people, but because puppies simply cannot regulate their body temperature until 2 weeks of age, blankets are useless, the environment needs to be at the right temperature.

A whelping box is a must.
    What are they being kept in at the moment? You need a box with 3 high sides and one side with a shorter section for the mother to step in and out of.
    You need to watch every time the mom gets in and out of the box to make sure she does not step or lay on any puppies.
    Pig rails are also good for larger dogs as they protect the pups if mom lays on them also.

The box should only ever have FLAT blankets on the bottom. If the blankets are scrunched up or covering puppies they can easily suffocate.
    I will attach a picture of what I consider to be a very good whelping box.

bla333 Posts: 72, Reputation: -1

Dec 22, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    My parents refuse to spend money on another dog. And of course we won't give them to a shelter. We has a heater directly on the pups. With third blankets but no box.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 08:18 PM

A space heater??

Dec 22, 2010, 08:23 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    I don't know it is a small one about a foot high and a foot wide probably less.

Dec 22, 2010, 08:24 PM
    It is blowing on the mom and pups from hmmm 3 feet away.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 08:31 PM

That's not a fire hazard? What if the mom knocks it over?

Dec 22, 2010, 08:58 PM
    Its square and so cannot be knocked over more like a rectangle actually... it is not by anything that can catch fire. It is also hot air but just mildly hot. It would take much more warmth for it to be a fire hazard.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 09:17 PM

Not good enough.

I realize you're only 11, so maybe you don't understand, but puppies cannot regulate their body heat. That means that they cannot be in a cold room. They have to have heat lamps. They need a warm place, not blankets, not a small space heater that only slightly warms the room.

If by some miracle these puppies make it, than please, tell your brother to spay his dog so that there are no more unwanted puppies. Breeding costs money, and it takes knowledge. If he's not willing to invest in the proper equipment, than he shouldn't be breeding.

Dec 22, 2010, 11:05 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    He is going to spay the dog and actually I understand quite well. The problem is since I'm so young I can't just move the dogs. My parents have to agree which sadly they don't.

Dec 22, 2010, 11:07 PM
    Also, the garage isn't the type your thinking of. Its not the place located directly by the door to outside where people park there cars. It is connected to the living room through a doorway that has no door. It is a few degrees colder in there.

Dec 22, 2010, 11:07 PM
    But the pups will survive
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 11:24 PM

but the pups will survive
    I hope so, but it's not a given. Far from it.

Without a heat lamp, there's a far greater risk of illness, and a far greater risk of death. Puppies are fragile health wise to begin with, even with the proper care and the proper equipment. Without it, there's definitely an increased risk.

Dec 22, 2010, 11:38 PM
    I do realize pet lamps are important but I'm afraid my bro and my family just don't want to buy one I feel when I pick them up that the pups are warm and it is now that we've added heat a fairly warm room.

Dec 22, 2010, 11:41 PM
    Excuse me when I said pet lamps I meant heat lamps but I would also like to know what those are.
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 11:45 PM

Here's a picture. This is the set up that's the best. Whelping box, and heat lamp.

Attachment 34575

There are many different heat lamps on the market. It's usually what the breeder prefers, or what they've found works best. Any place that sells whelping boxes will also have heat lamps.

Dec 23, 2010, 12:01 AM
    OK ill try to get my parents to get one.
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 12:04 AM

You can make a whelping box. There are tons of great designs that you can get off the internet. Sadly you can't make a heat lamp.

Please keep us posted. I really do hope it all works out, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I am very worried for these puppies.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Dec 23, 2010, 06:30 AM

Bla, I have chosen not to respond to this thread until now. Please forgive me but I get upset when I read threads that I know right off the bat are from backyard breeders. Here on AMHD, members reserve the right to answer the questions we feel like answering since we aren't paid for our time.

For 11 years old, you are very grounded. You are much smarter than many adults that I have met. I have a suggestion. Call your local pet store(s) and see how much a heat lamp will cost. Tell them the situation, that you are a kid, and can't afford much. This way, hopefully they won't take advantage and attempt to sell you their most expensive model. Although I am sure your parents have already bought your xmas presents, ask them for money for xmas so you can buy a heat lamp. If they refuse, ask them if there is a chore you can do around the house that you can get paid for so you can buy the heat lamp immediately. There is a good possibility they will respect the fact that you are acting like an adult, willing to work in exchange for helping keep the puppies warm & comfortable and are concerned about ensuring they are given the best opportunity for survival. When your brother gets home, tell him what you did and that you would appreciate his paying you back for the heat lamp out of the money he receives selling the puppies. If he refuses, don't give him the heat lamp. Either keep it or donate it to your local shelter.

You are a very good person for attempting to do the responsible and adult thing when the adults around you are not. It saddens me they are setting such poor examples, especially at a time of year when we are surrounded by people helping each other by donating either time or money. I can't imagine a worse Christmas morning than waking up to finding a dead puppy. I hope they all survive and I wish you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

*edit*: regarding a whelping box, you can do an internet search as Alty suggests to find out how to build one, or you can ask someone at the pet store how much their cheapest whelping box costs. If it is too expensive at the store & too difficult to build yourself, ask the person at the store if they have any boxes that they are planning on throwing away that could work well as a whelping box that you can attach the lamp to. If they don't have anything, maybe your vet will have something you can borrow.

Dec 23, 2010, 11:12 AM
    Comment on Just_Another_Lemming's post
    Thank you for the help and I hope you a wonderful xmas. The only think I have been considering is that dogs have been having puppies outside in harsh weather for thousands of years. Animals such as baby chickens do need an inkibator(sp?) to keep

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Paragraph on the topic "cleanliness of surroundings is important" [ 1 Answers ]

In 40 to 50 words translated in sanskrit

My life was disturbed by my surroundings so I want to know how to get back to my stud [ 3 Answers ]

My life was disturbed by surroundings so I want to get back on my studies I was lost my intreast on studies so give me some tips from which I can concentrate in my studies

Early 90's movie where lady locks mom in basement because mom is monster [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to remember the name of this horror movie that I think came out in the early 90's or late 80's where at the beginning, this lady goes to a gypsy/fortune teller and the fortune teller gives her a Moon and Star pendant and tells her that her soul mate will have the same Moon and Star...

Unfamiliar with specific Pit Bull bloodline. [ 10 Answers ]

I ran across a man yesterday that had one of the most beautiful pits I've ever seen. When I asked him what line his dog came from, he said he breeds ?FTL's? I can't remember the specific letters that he said, but I'm pretty sure that FTL was the abbreviation. Has anyone heard of this line? ...

View more questions Search