Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bla333 Posts: 72, Reputation: -1

Dec 21, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Mom in unfamiliar surroundings
    Hi, my bro is going to mcichigan and his dog just had pups. We are going to take care of them but mom has never met us and never been to our house! I'm scared that mom will eat her pups to protect them from this weird place she's never been before.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 05:11 PM

Congratulations!

The Dogs Experts will wander in when they come online and will check this category. Meanwhile, I'm thinking your brother should include the dog's bedding and other things that smell like home. I'm guessing it would be a good idea to limit her to just one room, like a spare bedroom, so she can get used to that and so the pups won't wander all around and get lost. How long will she and her pups be at your house?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2010, 05:42 PM

She shouldn't unless she is extremely stressed.

Is she a fairly laid back dog? Does she get on well with strangers? If so you should be fine.

Generally when people have a dog with a litter handling the puppies from birth is needed (to get weights and measurements) but in this case I would just keep an eye on them, only intervene if you have to.

Mom should keep the whelping box pretty clean but if it does get messy try giving mom some treats and lots of love while you change the blankets, and try not to touch the pups. I would suggest splitting the box in half and putting a blanket on each side so you can change half at a time and just shuffle the pups over.

Dec 22, 2010, 02:47 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    The dogs will be here till after new years so two weeks my brother did bring things that smell like home too. Thanks!

Dec 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    Thanks but there is one problem. She doesn't have a whelping box! Just toys a water and food bowl and blankets. She is in a garage which is blocked by a baby gate so the litter's dad, my dog, and my cat don't get to her.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 03:37 PM

How old are the pups? Putting them in a garage is really not a good idea. Puppies can't regulate their heat. They need a warm place. Garages aren't known to be warm.

Dec 22, 2010, 03:48 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    The garage isn't warm but there are blankets in there I also expressed this problem to my mom and she said they'll be fine plus they are constantly huddled together. They are 3 days old
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 03:55 PM

They won't be fine, even with blankets, at 3 days old.

There's a reason that breeders have heat lamps for their puppies. Blankets aren't enough. Huddling isn't enough. They need to be warm.

Is there another room in the house they could stay? Is your brother bringing all his breeding gear over? I would think that as a breeder he'd be more concerned about the welfare of the puppies. I've never heard of a breeder that leaves 3 day old puppies to live in a garage without a heater or a whelping box.

Dec 22, 2010, 04:14 PM
    The spare room belongs to my other dog my parents room is off limits my room too the kitchen is an of course not. The only other room we have is colder then the garage it's the freezer! My bro brought a child gate to block off the room a cardboard box
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 04:22 PM

Why is your room off limits?

How long is this supposed to last, with your family keeping the puppies?

The puppies are very vulnerable this young. Think about lying in the garage on the cold floor, without your clothes on.
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 04:33 PM

The spare room belongs to my other dog my parents room is off limits my room too the kitchen is an of course not. The only other room we have is colder then the garage it's the freezer! My bro brought a child gate to block off the room a cardboard box
    Move the other dog to the garage, and move the puppies and mom into the spare room. Get your brother the "breeder" (and I use the term loosely) to invest in a whelping box and heating lamp. If not, tell him that he risks the death of all the puppies. They're too young to regulate their body heat. If left in the cold garage with only a blanket for warmth, you'll soon be on this forum asking why all the puppies are dying. Harsh, but true.

This is why people that aren't breeders, shouldn't breed. :(

Dec 22, 2010, 06:37 PM
    My room is off limits because the xmas tree is in there.

Dec 22, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Its to late my brother is already on the plane flying to Michigan. My parents are set on them in he garage and we now have the freezer room which is next to the garage stuffed with towels so no cold air gets through there is an extra blanky also.

Dec 22, 2010, 06:46 PM
    We can't move my dog because it is basically her room. If we switch them my other dog will snap and kill the puppies while trying to get them out of their territory. This is just a guess but I know my dog. We now have a small heater in that room.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 06:46 PM

In which state do you live?

Dec 22, 2010, 06:48 PM
    I also want to know if it is normal for the dogs too be squeaking kind of like mice at this age. They are blue heelers :). 4 of them 3 days old. They kind of look like cow hamsters lol. Ps I don't think they'll die its now warm in there. Well kind of - _-

Dec 22, 2010, 06:50 PM
    Its also a problem becase if the mom dog was in my room she would snap when I tried to go in there and sleep.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 06:54 PM

I've been around newborn kittens and also domestic mice, and all "squeaked" as newborns, so I'm guessing new puppies do too. Where does your brother keep the new family at his house?

Dec 22, 2010, 07:01 PM
    In a corner at the hall but they are in our house now in a corner with a baby gate blocking the room. The mother dogs food and water dish are in there along with some toys. There are three blankets with the moms bed on top in there too

Dec 22, 2010, 07:03 PM
    My brother is much older and is living somewhere else. We are babysitting the pups while he goes to Michigan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Paragraph on the topic "cleanliness of surroundings is important" [ 1 Answers ]

In 40 to 50 words translated in sanskrit

My life was disturbed by my surroundings so I want to know how to get back to my stud [ 3 Answers ]

My life was disturbed by surroundings so I want to get back on my studies I was lost my intreast on studies so give me some tips from which I can concentrate in my studies

Early 90's movie where lady locks mom in basement because mom is monster [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to remember the name of this horror movie that I think came out in the early 90's or late 80's where at the beginning, this lady goes to a gypsy/fortune teller and the fortune teller gives her a Moon and Star pendant and tells her that her soul mate will have the same Moon and Star...

Unfamiliar with specific Pit Bull bloodline. [ 10 Answers ]

I ran across a man yesterday that had one of the most beautiful pits I've ever seen. When I asked him what line his dog came from, he said he breeds ?FTL's? I can't remember the specific letters that he said, but I'm pretty sure that FTL was the abbreviation. Has anyone heard of this line? ...

View more questions Search