Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bla333 Posts: 72, Reputation: -1

Dec 23, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Comment on Just_Another_Lemming's post
    Them warm but my other dogs mom had her pups under the porch! None of them died. Maybe that was just luck but since dogs are much like wolves like cats are just like tigers etc. and since wolves have their baby's outside I am very well believing that

Dec 23, 2010, 11:15 AM
    The pups don't need a heat lamp.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 11:19 AM

Dogs have been having puppies outside in harsh weather for thousands of years. Animals such as baby chickens do need an inkibator(sp?) to keep
    Actually, no, dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years and expect their humans to feed them and give them a warm place to live.

Coyotes and wolves create dens in the wild and make sure it's a warm, protected place before they have their pups. Read up on these animals' lifestyle and habitat.

Canines do not have pups "in harsh weather" unless their human owners/masters give them no choice and force them to.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 11:25 AM

wolves have their baby's outside
    No, they don't.

From wolfcountry.net --

"The den is usually on an elevated area, on a hill, or high on a river bank, also important is proximity to water. The den is usually oval shaped, the opening is about 3 feet wide by 2 feet high, the den is about 10 to 15 feet deep ending in a 4 foot chamber."

Dec 23, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    What do you mean they don't?? No one can own a wild animal so obviously they have them somewhere away from humans and protected. If they had them inside that wouldn't be away from humans.

Dec 23, 2010, 11:29 AM
    I'm sorry wondergirl but I'm going to have to believe myself here. Chickens do need warmth but puppies? No

Dec 23, 2010, 11:33 AM
    OK I believe you on the wolves but the puppies are in a room that is fairly warm now. Therefore no need for extra heat like a heat lamp.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 11:33 AM

If even wolves and coyotes protect their pups by putting them in a warm place, why can't you? Why are you lying to yourself? It won't help the pups.

I hope you plan to sleep nearby them every night. You won't need a blanket since the room is nice and warm.

Dec 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
    My parents refuse and I am to young to call a pet store and do anything that people have suggested on here. I am not sleeping nearby the pups and they are fine. Its been five days and they're alive without a heat lamp!

Dec 23, 2010, 11:55 AM
    I am just getting so frustrated! I just don't know what to do. We won't get a heat lamp parents rules. My bro tried to make her a whelping box but she didn't use it. She is in what everyone thinks is a cold room. I don't want them to die and my whole

Dec 23, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Family says they're fine when you guys say they're not!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 12:15 PM

Bla, there's a difference between your family and the people here. We're experts on dog care. We know what it takes to keep puppies alive. Your family doesn't.

Your brother is a backyard breeder. I don't want to be mean to you because you're just a child, but just like every other poster on this site, you came to ask a question, and I won't lie to you just because of your age. Backyard breeders are the lowest of the low, just one step about puppy mills. I'm sure you've heard about puppy mills.

Backyard breeders breed for money, not to further the breed. Because of this, they rarely put in the money needed to insure the best for the puppies. If a heating lamp is too much money, what will happen when one of the puppies gets sick and needs a vet? That won't be cheap either. These puppies will need to be with mom until they're at least 8 weeks old before they can be sold. They will need their first set of shots, and they'll need food once they're weaned. Will your brother be willing to pay for all of that when he's not even willing to pay for a heat lamp? I doubt it.

We're giving you the advice you need to help ensure these puppies survival. You don't have to believe us, that's your right. I said it before, the puppies may survive, but without a heat lamp, without a safe place to grow, you're lowering the odds of survival considerably.

If a heat lamp is out of the question, obviously there's nothing you can do. Your parents do make the rules, and I'm sure they're the ones telling you that the puppies will be fine, and that we're all wrong. I hope they'll be there to comfort you if the puppies don't survive. I also hope they'll do the responsible thing and take the puppies to the vet should anything go wrong.

We've given you accurate advice. That's all we can do. I think this thread should be closed, seeing as you're unable and unwilling to do what we suggested. I really don't wish to see you posting that you're heartbroken because the puppies are sick and you don't know what to do.

I wish you all the best, and a Merry Christmas.
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 12:20 PM

Also, just want to add. Please don't use the comment feature to post. Scroll to the bottom of your page, there's a post feature. The comment feature is limited. For follow up posts it's best to use the post feature which doesn't limit what you can post. That way your posts aren't broken up into three or four because you ran out of room.

Makes it easier for you, and easier for us. :)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2010, 01:03 PM

Could an electric blanket that you might have in your home (since it's Washington) help? Or would that be too dangerous for the pups?:confused:

Don't try it until an expert says yes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 01:13 PM

I'm not a Dogs Expert (just a cat person). I don't believe the electric blanket would work. Most say don't put something heavy or even another blanket on top of it or tuck it in under the top mattress. That would mean the dogs should not lie on it. Plus, the pups will be peeing and pooing on it, which would not be a good thing for the blanket and the electricity going through it.

I thought about one of those low-wattage electric fleece pet pads, but most aren't very big (not for a mother dog and six pups), plus they cost $25 or more.
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 02:03 PM

Electric blankets can be dangerous. Puppies have been burned by them because they can't easily move away when it gets too hot. It's always better to have heat coming from above, not below. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2010, 04:59 PM

I think everything that can be said has been said and there's no point repeating ourselves.

If there are no further questions from the OP I will close this thread later today before we do another circle.

On a side note, they do sell special heating pads for puppies but I'm not a fan of them, it's harder to regulate the temperature.

A whelping box should be kept at a constant 95 F. Not something easily done with a heater in the room or a pad.
    A heat lamp suspended over the box is much better at keeping a constant temp although does still need to be monitored and may need to be lowered during the night and raised during the day.

Dec 23, 2010, 05:34 PM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    I'm sorry but I'm not going to buy a whelping box heating lamp electric blanket or a pad.

Dec 23, 2010, 05:35 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    I'm going to stick with comments I can't find the post button
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 05:58 PM

The Answer BOX is at the bottom of the page. Please scroll down, and you will see it a big open space surrounded by a frame..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Paragraph on the topic "cleanliness of surroundings is important" [ 1 Answers ]

In 40 to 50 words translated in sanskrit

My life was disturbed by my surroundings so I want to know how to get back to my stud [ 3 Answers ]

My life was disturbed by surroundings so I want to get back on my studies I was lost my intreast on studies so give me some tips from which I can concentrate in my studies

Early 90's movie where lady locks mom in basement because mom is monster [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to remember the name of this horror movie that I think came out in the early 90's or late 80's where at the beginning, this lady goes to a gypsy/fortune teller and the fortune teller gives her a Moon and Star pendant and tells her that her soul mate will have the same Moon and Star...

Unfamiliar with specific Pit Bull bloodline. [ 10 Answers ]

I ran across a man yesterday that had one of the most beautiful pits I've ever seen. When I asked him what line his dog came from, he said he breeds ?FTL's? I can't remember the specific letters that he said, but I'm pretty sure that FTL was the abbreviation. Has anyone heard of this line? ...

View more questions Search