Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2010, 08:30 AM
    Windows 7 sleep mode issues
    When the laptop is in sleep mode, will programs still update as scheduled?

1. Will our AntiVirus program (AVG Free) update every night?
    2. Will Windows updates still download and install as scheduled?

I'd like to keep the laptop on 24-7 but
    1. I want to use the sleep mode presuming that it will help to not overheat the laptop, but
    2. I want to be sure that important software updates are also done.

Is sleep mode the way to go to be sure of the above?

Thank you!
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 08:51 AM

I don't believe it will run while in sleepmode. However, I believe Windows 7 has the capability to wake to run a scheduled task.

Microsoft Article on setting wake to run task

Not sure if this will work for updates! You might also have the disbale power management on your NIC
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2010, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    I don't believe it will run while in sleepmode. However, I believe Windows 7 has the capability to wake to run a scheduled task.

Microsoft Article on setting wake to run task
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    You might also have the disbale power management on your NIC
    What is "NIC"?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 09:16 AM

Your Network Interface Card.

Are you connected via Ethernet or Wireless?

You can go into properties of whatever device is used to connect to the netowrk/internet and uncheck the option to turn off device to save power! When you enter sleepmode the computer will shutoff this device to save power.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer freezes after monitor sleep mode [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I need your help. I am running a windows XP pro and have recently encountered the following problem. When my monitor(only) goes into sleep mode for an extended period it refuses to restart when I attempt to touch any of the keys. Reboot does not solve the problem since I am ...

Sleep issues [ 1 Answers ]

sorry I'm not sure how to use this site, I cannot see where to type in my question so I will ask it anyway. I'm permi, I have been getting a pounding noise like a pulse in my head since Monday of this week, and I have never had this condition in my life. I'm 42 and I'm afraid it might be a...

Monitor In Sleep Mode, Everything Else Running [ 5 Answers ]

Yeah, I know there's numerous threads with the same problem... That's how I found this place ;) I read through them all and didn't get anything new so I decided to post a new thread... Here's the story... I'm building a new computer for my mom, all the components are brand new from either...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

View more questions Search