Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moonbay Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Dec 21, 2010, 05:25 AM
    What Are These Symptoms?
    Okay. I looked it up all over the internet but I can't seem to find a clear answer. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me figure this out. I've been having problems with my fingers. It started a couple of weeks ago when I would go to sleep. A certain part of my elbow would start to hurt and then my fingers would fall asleep, swell, and then they started hurting. This would happen on my right hand. My fingers on my left hand are falling asleep too but they don't hurt. Only once or twice my thumb started hurting on my left hand but that stopped. My fingers on my right hand still do the same thing but now the skin on my middle finger and my ring finger (on the right hand) are starting to go numb. The numbness went from my finger tips and stretched all the way through both fingers. These fingers start to go numb and hurt too when I'm working, writing, typing, or even lifting my right arm for a small period. Can anyone possibly help me figure out if this is just a pinched nerve or is it something else? I would really appreciate any help. Thank you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 05:39 AM

We can't really diagnose on here, Moonbay, but from the symptoms you describe it sounds like Carpal tunnel syndrome, which is nerve problem in hand, wrist and arm from repetitive movement. Keyboard operators usually get this. This is just an educated guess, but pretty close to my symptoms and diagnoses which has to be corrected with a very simple surgery under the thumb on the palm of the hand.

Tick
    The_Orical Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 01:09 PM
    As the person above said it sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is the name for a group of problems that includes swelling, pain, tingling, and loss of strength in your wrist and hand. Your wrist is made of small bones that form a narrow groove or carpal tunnel. Tendons and a nerve called the median nerve must pass through this tunnel from your forearm into your hand. The median nerve controls the feelings and sensations in the palm side of your thumb and fingers. Sometimes swelling and irritation of the tendons can put pressure on the wrist nerve causing the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. A person's dominant hand is the one that is usually affected. However, nearly half of carpal tunnel syndrome sufferers have symptoms in both hands.

The people most likely to be affected are People who use their hands in a repetitive maner each day i.e a typist or secretry and even those who ane on games consoles for long periods, genetic predisposition i.e you are born with narrower tunnels that other people, injury through breaking bones in the hand and wrist and pregnancy tends to flair up the problem.

I must stress that this is an advice site and not an online hospital if you want a real diagnosis please seek medical attention as only a real diagnosis can only be made by a physician.

Dec 23, 2010, 02:43 AM
    Thank you all for your help. I've scheduled an appointment with a doctor so I'll get a definite answer.

Dec 23, 2010, 02:49 AM
    Thanks for the update try not to worry about it too much please do come back and update us as to what the diagnosis was all the best and merry christmas.

Dec 28, 2010, 03:49 AM
    I went to see a doctor yesterday about my symptoms and I found out that I had high blood sugar. The good thing (or bad :( ) is that all I have to do is watch my sugar intake and watch out for foods with high carbs in them... really what I eat. :rolleyes: Also, I got to work off everything I eat with exercise. I'm still in good shape. :D Thanks for your concern. I really appreciate it.

Dec 30, 2010, 11:51 AM
    High blood sugar, also known as hyperglycemia, is a very serious health risk. Individuals dealing with high blood sugar are susceptible to kidney problems, heart disease and other illnesses. High blood sugar can be controlled by making changes to your daily diet. These changes will help to prevent your blood sugar from skyrocketing out of control. Your new diet can also improve your overall health. Not all carbohydrates are bad we nbeed them for energy so choose unrefined carbohydrates such as rice and pasta and whole grain foods.

Here are some ways you can take blood sugar down to more tollerable levels there are many diets now when I mean diet I don't mean the strict boring diets health freaks are on no insult to health freaks intended! Just switch some fizzy sugary drinks for water and you can get sugar free flavoring if you like also in tea and coffee drop the sugar for a sweetner such as aspatame.

Breakfast
    Consider swapping some of your usual breakfast meals with a cerial such as all bran, shreddet wheet, wheetabix and even cornflakes add a little dried fruit such as rasins to jazz it up a little fruit loops and honey o's don't count.

Mid-morning snack
    If you get hungry mid mornig during work don't go and grab a candy bar from the vending machine take a bananna to work it releises energy slowly and is one of your 5 a day (great cerial with dried fruit and a bannana for mid morning snack 2 of your 5 a day!)

lunch time
    Why not take a sandwich to work with you instead of going to macdonalds or burgerking? Maby there's a microwave at work perhaps you should take your own food in? (saves money and its healthier than a burger best of both worlds!)

A little hungry before you get your dinner?
    No problem take some nuts and seeds or maby a little dried fruit you only need a little bit but its quite filling and keeps you satisfied until dinner.

Dinner
    Simple use the old fassioned meat and two veg or if you are vegitarian use a veg mushroom protein and two veg as a dinner have some rice or a bit of wholegrain pasta with pesto or a home made pasta sauce yes pasta and rice have carbs but they are unrefined carbs they are starchy harder for the body to break down so therefore you are less likely to go snacking on unrefined carbs.

These are just some ideas you can use to cut down on your sugar intake remember you don't have to be boring and follow this every day its good to have veriaty in your diet. I will say this though consult your doctor if you are making big changes in your diet.

Jan 7, 2011, 06:02 PM
    Thanks for the tip. :D I appreciate any help I can get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm 18 and last month on the 4th I got what I think was my period but it was very light never filling a pad and of dark brown to black color and on the 2nd of this month I got it again still very light never filling a pad and still dark brown to black color I've been feeling dry mouthed and...

What could these symptoms mean? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 20 year old female who would like to know what is going on with her. I have been getting cramp like pains in my lower stomach at least once a day. I have been nausious every day. It is worst in the mornings when I get up and sometimes it goes away after a bit other days it comes and goes all...

Symptoms of what? [ 3 Answers ]

For the past week and a half, I've been waking with nausea, and throughout the day, I am unable to eat, I also have a strong fatigue feeling. I don't believe I am pregnant because I have had my period this past week. Should I see a doctor?

Are these symptoms? [ 4 Answers ]

My last period started on May 20th and I haven't had a period since. My husband and I were going to try start trying to conceive in July. We did start a little early as we had unprotected sex on June 18th. We did not think anything could come of that since it was so close to what should have...

Symptoms [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I'm 19 years old and well I've been waking up very thirsty in the morning everyday for a long time now, and I always go urinating frequently during they day. But I also drink plenty of water through out the day.infact, I only drink water instead of any juice or soda. Even if I drink water to...

View more questions Search