Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deski2112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Starting my own business
    I am looking to start a business and are there any places where you can get a business plan kit? Also I am looking for financial assistance. Can you help?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Lots of places sell Biz Plan software. They aren't expensive. Great sources for startup info are sba.gov and score.org. sba.gov may be able to help with financing sources.
    Nationof4 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 09:09 AM
    I have written several business plans all of which have been funded by outside sources.

Things to keep in mind:

Investors read from back to front. Or jump around method. Financials first, Vision and Mission statement and then they may want to know the idea.

Make sure your financials are from research with substantial footnotes and backup, not from the market saturation approach.

Definition: Market Saturation Approach. *The market is $XXXMM per year. I will attain 10% of the market which equals $XXX. Then for some reason people often like to work backwards from there and all the projections are wrong.

You want to see similar business in similar markets Which gives you info on both financials and market plan.

Another key point is to have two well rehearsed presentations.
    Definition: Elevator Presentation * The person you are trying to get to invest is in the elevator. You have until you reach this persons floor to peak his interest. This is not the place to close the deal. This is one of the few places that your idea is more important than the financial or mission statement.

Remember not to be to rushed or you will sound like a crazy person. Keep it short concise and compelling. Be enrolling. Have them invite you to their office.

The second presentation is based on answering questions before they get to ask. The idea is to show you have done your homework. Any weak areas in your history or in your BP should be explained and qualified to show it has been addressed and you are not hiding anything. You should know your subject inside and out. This is the place where they bring in a totally negative person with every question in the world. Getting past him / her (answering all questions professionally with research and qualified numbers or just clubbing them senseless) is a major hurdle.

***** WHEN SPEAKING TO INVESTORS THEY WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY THEY WILL MAKE AND WHEN.*****. Do not make this the most important thing but this should be addressed several times.

Always be honest in this presentation. If you don’t know and have researched or if you just don’t know (SAY SO).

One of the tricks of the trade is to send an Executive summary to business attorneys and accountants with a letter stating you want to interview them. Most of these people have investors and knowledge of business plans. If you find a helpful one they will do more for you than the best written plan.

No more time right now but this can be a fun process. Make no mistake this is also a time consuming and difficult process.

One last thought. Anything you say, state in the BP, outline in financials or even hit at : should be backed by some serious research that is quoted and footnoted in your plan.
    Mylan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 01:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deski2112
    I am looking to start a business and are there any places where you can get a business plan kit? Also I am looking for financial assistance. Can you help?
    Me too,any info helpful please let me know.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mylan
    me too,any info helpfull please let me know.
    Did you read the answers already posted?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need advice [ 7 Answers ]

I have about $1000-$2000 to start, a partner to help with paint experience but I have never started a business and need to know the basics. Do I need a license? How do I get started in finding customers? What else do I need that I might not be thinking of? If I could get some help, I would...

Starting my own small business [ 17 Answers ]

I am trying to start my own lawn business and I've already have some business cards put out on mailboxes ext. and flyers.now my question is how long do I have to wait before someone calls it been 3 weeks now.

Starting small business [ 2 Answers ]

Helloe I am trying to find out what business license,permits,insurance&bonds if any is needed? My business is a small delivery service for energy & oilfeild companys.

Starting A New business [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My Name Is Kim,I Have Been Working On My Own As A Cleaner For Approx 8yrs Just Locally,but A Chance Has Just Come Up For Me To Maybe Have 2 Contracts For Buisnesses In My Area Which Would Be A Great Start On The Steep Ladder Of Sucsess,how And Where Do I Start Please Help Someone As I Don't Want...

Starting Painting business [ 2 Answers ]

I want to start my own painting business and do not know how, or where to start? Boston

View more questions Search