Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chalapathirao Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2010, 03:52 AM
    How can pressure and velocity be inversely related in fluid flow as per bernoullie?
    We know Force F is directly proportional to pressure and to change in velocity w.r.t to time as per Newton 2nd law then how can pressure and velocity can be inversely proportional during fluid flow
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Dec 20, 2010, 08:44 PM
    You're right that force is directly proportional to pressure, and to acceleration, when dealing with Newtonian mechanics (like for ballistics or things running into each other and transferring momentum, etc). If you were to observe at fluid at the microscopic level, looking at the trajectories and collisions and momenta of all the molecules that make it up, you'd find that Newton's laws are upheld.

However, it's not practical to model a fluid as a massive group of individual molecules. Instead, fluid dynamics is used to describe the macroscopic behavior of entire systems of molecules. Rather than keeping track of every single molecule, fluid dynamics can be used to describe their average behavior, with parameters like temperature, pressure, or mean velocity.

So why would fluids have completely opposite behavior from solids w.r.t. the relationship between pressure and velocity? They don't! As a matter of fact, if you're talking about a fluid flowing into or striking an object, it will exert a force or pressure in much the same way as if it was solid. For example, if you stick a paddle in a fast-flowing river, the water will exert force on the paddle. The faster the current is moving, the more force it will exert. This is exactly analogous to Newton's laws.

So what's this whole pressure and velocity are inversely proportional thing? That's when the fluid is flowing parallel to an object, not against it! There's not really an analog to this in Newtonian mechanics, because if two objects happen to travel past each other without hitting, there's no effect. They just pass right on by and go merrily about their separate ways.

In the case of fluid flow, however, just because the fluid is traveling parallel to an object on average, that doesn't mean that every single molecule in the fluid is traveling in the same direction. Quite the contrary, there are still many, many molecules that strike the surface of the object and impart some of their momentum onto it. As I'm sure you know, the average force of all these molecules over a unit area is called pressure. The faster the fluid flows, however, the higher the proportion of the total energy that's directed parallel to the surface, rather than perpendicular. The net result is that faster parallel velocity of the fluid means less of the molecules' inertia is directed toward the object, so the pressure on the object decreases. This phenomenon was first described by Bernoulli, and is the principle by which airplanes fly, among many, many other things.

There's a pretty decent intuitive explanation of Bernoulli's Principle here, along with a link to a more advanced discussion deriving the principle using conservation of energy.

I hope that helps!
    Anwar Ansari Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2012, 02:23 AM
    Pressure and velocity are inversely proportional.
    As ,
    Q= AxV A- AREA V- VELOCITY OF FLOW
    assuming flow to be constant , if we reduce the area then velocity has to increase to accommodate constant flow. From this it is clear that if area reduces then velocity increases. Now take an example

suppose P1- 5.0 bar and V1 - 2.0 m/s in pipe and suddenly pipe connverges and let P2 - ? And velocity V2- 3 m/s as we know that velocity has to increase to accommodate the flow as discussed above. From bernoullis equation you will find that pressure P2 come out to be approx. 2.5 bar.That is with increase in velocity pressure got decrease.
    surajit001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 04:32 PM
    @ jcaron2:- Your description is simply outstanding. Clearly proves that you have understood the concept very well.
    nsh_vys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2013, 10:54 PM
    What is the effect of magnetic field on fluid flow through porous medium if conductive fluid is injected from one side of it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2004 ford taurus, why would transmission fluid suddenly flow out of dipstick tube? [ 7 Answers ]

This morning after sitting in the driveway for about 15 hours I started it and about 1/2 quart of fluid came out of the dipstick tube then stopped, nothing has been added or anything been done to the transmission lately. Seems fine now other than being about a half quart low and a heck of a mess...

Brake Fluid Has Been Getting Lower in the Fluid Cylinder. Is Failure Imminent? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, All! I was told by someone, who is not a mechanic by trade, that my brake fluid was getting lower in the fluid cylinder and that I needed a brake job. There don't appear to be any leaks, my brakes seem to work fine and there are no noises. He made it seem like brake failure was...

Fluid surge pressure on tank walls [ 1 Answers ]

If I have a large water tank (2000L) fitted to a moving vehicle and I have an elbow high up on the end wall to act as an air vent and it becomes submerged during inertial surge of the water, will the pressure wave in the water create a forced overflow condition pushing water out of the pipe even if...

Tangents and normals in determining the kinematic of fluid flow [ 4 Answers ]

Tangents and normals in determining the kinematic of fluid flow

Is Masturbation related to Blood pressure? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I am a male of 24 yrs . I have a problem that my Blood pressure is 170/110. I do masterbate all days and even twice or thrice a day! Is the masturbation really related to Blood pressure? Can it brng fluctuations in my BP leve?

View more questions Search