Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snowgoose Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Does group using Roberts rules of order revised need to vote on limit speech?
    In a group governed by Roberts Rules, can the president simply begin a meeting by unilaterally deciding and stating that speech on a topic will be limited to 5 minutes per speaker if this has never been done in any previous meeting and if members had no chance to vote on it? Art V.30.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2010, 06:05 PM

That would be up to the by laws governing the meeting. But usually the presiding officer has powers to limit debate.

Dec 19, 2010, 06:20 PM
    Wow! Most quick answer I ever got! Thanks. The bylaws only state this: Article X: Parliamentary Authority. The rules contained in Roberst Rules of Order Revised shall govern this organization in all cases in which there is disagreement or confusion.

Kind of a follow-up question: If the meeting is specifically about misconduct of the president and the president limits the speech of all players to 5 minutes and only one chance to speak, must also the president's speech be limited to 5 minutes, or can president talk all he wants?

Dec 19, 2010, 06:33 PM

In that case, the president must recuse himself and turn control over the meeting to the vice president or person next in line.

It would be unethical or against any rules of any organization I've heard of for an officer to preside over a meeting where the officer is the subject of the meeting. Especially when the subject is misconduct.

Dec 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
    Yes... I know... and respect your pointing that out... but ethics and misconduct aside, under RR of O and article quoted from our bylaws, can a unilateral decision be made by president alone to limit speech or must it be voted on and approved first?

Dec 19, 2010, 07:02 PM

The first person to talk raises a point of order that it is improper for the president to preside at this meeting. And makes a motion that the president recuse himself.

Dec 19, 2010, 07:09 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    All stated has already happened. Too late. Just wanting to take this to higher authority now to discuss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Value of roberts china [ 2 Answers ]

I found an old box with what looks like a complete set on Roberts China- Smokey Rose Pattern. How can I get the true value of this? Where can I sell it at? I am in Southern California

A speech to be given on fashion for speech and drama grade five [ 1 Answers ]

My child has a project on fashion to do for speech and drama for grade 5 she has to also give a talk about fashion for 3 minutes she is twelve years old please help we don't know where to start

A Vote for McBush is a Vote for Iran War [ 35 Answers ]

A vote for McBush is a vote for a War on Iran. How do you like the War of Adventurism against Iraq which will last 100 years or until America destroys itself economically? Do you think that our colony Iraq, a future colony of Iran, and add another colony perhaps in Afghanistan will ever be in...

View more questions Search