Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    durand Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 05:14 AM
    Multiple choice question
    In a private ltd company a permissible capital payment can be made to redeem or purchase its own shares when
    a)it has insufficient distributable profits for the purpose
    b)it can raise the amount from a new issue
    c)it is not legally authorized to redeem them
    d)all of the above
    I believe the answer is “A” BECAUSE I KNOW THAT IT CAN BE REDEEM ITS OWN SHARE WHEN IT HAS UN DISTRIBUTABLE PROFITS BUT I AM STILL NOT SURE BECAUSE I THINK INSUFFICIENT DISTRIBUTABLE AND UN DISTRIBUTABLE HAVE SOME DIFFERENCE…can someone read and see if I'm correct thanks.
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Dec 19, 2010, 06:50 AM
    You may be mis-interpreting the wording for "A". A company which has earned profits in prior years but hasn't yet distributed all of it, has "undistributed profits" (a.k.a. "retained earnings").

This is NOT the same thing as "insufficient distributable profits", which is what "A" says. "Insufficient distributable profits" is just a fancy way of saying "the company doesn't have enough to do what the question is asking."

In the spirit of the season, here's your gift... Answer A is out, because of the foregoing. That also kicks out Answer D (see why?). It's down to B or C...
    durand Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 12:16 PM
    I believe its B when they proceed for a new issue.. im I correct?
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Dec 19, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple choice [ 3 Answers ]

I have a few questions I can't figure out... 1. When converting from cash basis to accrual basis accounting, which of the following adjustments should be made to cash receipts from customers to determine accrual basis service revenue? A subtract ending accounts receivable B subtract beg...

Multiple choice question [ 1 Answers ]

which event should not be recorded in a company ledger account: a)a bonus issue of shares b)a rights issue of shares c)a sale by a shareholder of shares at a price above nominal value d)an issue of the company shares at a price above nominal value i believe the answer is b but i am still...

Multiple choice [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with this question? Which of the following would be classified in a different major section of a balance sheet from the others? a. Capital stock. b. Common stock subscribed. c. Stock dividend distributable. d. Stock investment in affiliate.

Multiple Choice, Please help me [ 2 Answers ]

Of the following different types of securities, which is typically considered most risky? a) Certificates of deposit b) Long term government bonds c) common stocks of large companies d) U.S. treasury bills

View more questions Search