Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2010, 06:14 AM
    Rollover recommendations
    My wife just handed me a notice that her employer is terminating its pension plan. We will roll it over into an IRA, but I'm not sure with who. Its only about $10K. I'm leaning towards Fidelity but would like some feedback from anyone who has used them or other suggestions.

I also have over $100K in my old company 401(k) and have also been thinking of rolling that over as well. Would I be better using the same company or not?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 10:15 AM

I've used Fidelity for many years, and have been happy with their service and choices of investments. It really doesn't matter if you use the same company for your rollover as well - nothing wrong with it, but it really doesn't save on paperwork in any way. One advantage is it would be easier to remember what's where.

Once you decide on the company that will be custodiam of the new rollover IRA(s), be sure that you have them do a direct rollover from the employer's plan. That not only makes it easy for you, but also avoids any risk of making a mistake that could trigger the 10% early withdreawal penalty.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 09:24 PM

I have had good luck with a plan though Woodsman, but also have a Fidelity plan

Also I am a real lover of the Roth Plans, you will need to talk to a professional, but I think there are special roll over rules in converting to them this year.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2010, 05:39 AM

Thanks guys. Looks like I will go with Fidelity. The problem now is getting everything arranged by the 12/27 deadline.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC Recommendations? [ 4 Answers ]

I'd appreciate some feedback on lower-priced computers. Our current computer is a Sony Vaio (nearly 8 years old!) and we've had a very good experience with it, but its simply too old for what we need now. About Us/Needs: We prefer PC's DH is in school and will need Word, Excel, Powerpoint,...

Movie recommendations [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone, Do you have any interesting/good movie recommendations? I'm a young teenager that enjoyed Twilight, Remember The Titains, The 10th Kingdom, Harry Potter, and many other movies. As you can see, I like a wide range of films such as fantasy, action, romance, some scary, and...

Recommendations on food [ 2 Answers ]

My lab has grown up on Eukanoba (spelling?), but for the last few months he has refused to eat it. I tried mixing it with other food such as Kibble and Bits, but then he just spits out the Eukanoba or just won't eat. So can anyone recommend other high quality dog food since some people say Kibble...

View more questions Search