Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minnlady63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 12:34 PM
    Blower motor won't shut off
    I have a 1991 Janitrol furnace. The blower motor was replaced 2 years ago. The furnace works fine otherwise, flame comes on, the blower runs until the set temp, but after the blower shuts off, the motor is still humming, non-stop. Is the problem at the furnace or the house thermostat (the fan is set on "auto")
    Covertaire Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2010, 03:36 PM
    The motor or emf hum you are experiencing could be attributed to one of several items. First... if the blower motor has not been serviced since install, it's probably dirty and overheating. Second, if the capacitor is weak, it can make the motor hum. Third, the fan motor itself could be ready to fail... this is the least likely though. Call a reputable co and first have it thoroughly maintained then go from there. Ps... you should have preventative maintenance done every 6 months.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2010, 04:55 PM
    Are you sure it's a hum from the motor and not the transformer? If the blower motor will start back up by switchin the fan switch to on at the thermostat. Its not a motor over heating and may not be the motor at all.
    Covertaire Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2010, 07:00 PM
    True, transformers hum as well as do fan motors...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower motor won't shut off on bryant [ 5 Answers ]

Have a bryant furnace 20+ yrs old blower motor won't shut off even after desired temp. is achieved. New thermostat.

Blower motor won't shut off in attic [ 4 Answers ]

How do you fix a fan motor that does not shut off at the furance and what do you normally shut the fan limted switch too I know if I go up there and turn fan limted switch it will shut off and the theromstate and fan motor have to be set togather this old unit but heat great beside this problem it...

Blower motor on furnace doesn't shut off [ 3 Answers ]

I have a coleman 7600 series presidential furnace with central air added on. I came home today and the condenser coil in the furnace was full of ice, and no air was coming from vents because of that. I tried shutting everything down but now the blower motor on the furnace won't shut off. I turned...

AC blower motor will not shut off [ 1 Answers ]

The blower motor on my AC will not shut off unless I flip the circuit breaker. I had a condensation leak last week that fried the capacitor, got it replaced but blower will not stop running.

View more questions Search