Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    testflight Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Rheem heater works one time and then won't light
    The heater is about 20 years old. We checked it and weren't getting 24 volts for the gas valve. The ignitor control was replaced with a Robertshaw 780-910 Hot Surface Ignition Module and it worked fine. The next day, it wouldn't light again.

We reset the control by turning off the power and it worked perfectly. A few hours later, it wouldn't light up again. Over the next couple days, the same scenario. It won't light. I unplug the heater and plug it back in and it works until the heat goes off and tries to come back on.

What should we check? I noticed the control is supposed to have either a 4 or 7 second ignition trial time, but I don't know how to change it to a longer time or that this would help.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2010, 05:18 PM
    A few things to check is to make sure you have a good ground for the control and your gas valve. Make sure your flame sensor is clean. With some older systems when you put on a new control board the 24v transformer is not strong enough to give 24v it maybe around 18v or 19v at times giving you intermittent problems.
    testflight Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2010, 01:47 PM
    Thanks. We finally solved the problem. Changing the ignition control to go for 7 seconds instead of 4 before checking for ignition and having it retry 3 times solved it. Then my buddy thought to check the gas pressure. Sure enough it was very low, 2 lbs. Now it made sense that resetting and restarting the heater would work and not work later as the gas wasn't quite getting there to ignite in time. Adjusting the gas valve to increase the pressure seems to have solved the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem Gas Hot Water Heater Pilot Light [ 1 Answers ]

Our gas hot water heater started leaking last week and we found the leak and repaired it. However, now we are smelling gas in the laundry room. Our question is once you relight the pilot light on a gas water heater, do you leave the dial on pilot or do you turn it to on?

Cannot light pilot on Rheem Fury Water Heater [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I am buying a house with a Rheem Fury water heater model 42V50-40F. It has piezo ignition. The heater is four years old, and is clean and in otherwise like-new condition. The gas has been shut off for a couple of months. The water heater is at the opposite end of the house from the gas...

Rheem Heater RGPH 05NAUER start trouble light codes [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have the above heating unit which has failed to start today. It appears to be getting power. The two green LEDs are on and when the thermostat says it is "system on" the left green flashes in groups of 4 flashes and pauses and repeats. About a month ago we had a startup problem and...

InterTherm Gas Heater does not light every time [ 1 Answers ]

When our heater kicks on the gas pilot does not always light. Any ideas on what is wrong?

View more questions Search