Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spluvs2install Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 08:25 PM
    91 honda crx no start or rough start, puzzled HELP!
    Ok, I'm running a SOHC ZC motor. I have good compressions across all pistons at 135psi and holding a piece. I have checked the timing and it is correct. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is OK. I haven't been able to figure out how to lean the fuel out though, but anyway, it starts up and runs pretty good EXCEPT it smokes like a chimney at all RPM's. I have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and after I run it, the plugs are blackened and need to be cleaned. Has anyone had this problem and know how to solve it? I really would like to NOT buy a new motor. I have also replaced the O2 sensor and the fuel regulator that is connected to the end of the fuel rail that seems to be controlled by vacuum.

What I bought so far was an O2 sensor, which I can return. I bought a cap, rotor, plugs, and wires just to get it done and out of the way. I replaced the distributor and even though I was getting spark, I redid it anyway and checked for spark and got spark again, on each wire, on each plug, to each cylinder, the only thing I haven't been able to see is whether its sparking inside the engine, duh, LOL. I have checked the timing 4 times, I redid the timing belt and set the timing marks as perfect as you could imagine, as I took my sweet ole time to make absolutely sure they were EXACT. I did the compression and it was at 135psi, I cleaned the intake and the throttle body completely. I checked the EAVC on the back of the intake and have plugged all vacuums on anything that wasn't nessesary, which I checked and checked again. Now, it just cranks like I said, it doesn't even want to kick over. I haven't replaced the fuel filter or made sure it had a completely full to the top gas tank. BUT I know it gets gas. This is why it is so fustrating!? I want to see if this will freshen up minds
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Thoughts:
    1. Read sections A and B, in the link below, to help you determine if there's a problem in the ignition system:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ics-46563.html

If you can answer "Yes" to the 3 basic diagnostic questions, focus on testing/replacing the igniter and coil.

2. Constant smoking may indicate sludged up oil rings; therefore, AutoRx the engine. Afterwards, use 5W-30 Valvoline Synthetic MaxLife Engine Oil, which is an excellent high-mileage oil (ACEA A3, MB 229.3 rated) that should help keep the engine very clean.

Jan 10, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spluvs2install
    Ok, I'm running a SOHC ZC motor. I have good compressions across all pistons at 135psi and holding a piece. I have checked the timing and it is correct. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is ok. I haven't been able to figure out how to lean the fuel out though, but anyway, it starts up and runs pretty good EXCEPT it smokes like a chimney at all RPM's. I have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and after I run it, the plugs are blackened and need to be cleaned. Has anyone had this problem and know how to solve it? I really would like to NOT buy a new motor. I have also replaced the O2 sensor and the fuel regulator that is connected to the end of the fuel rail that seems to be controlled by vacuum.

what I bought so far was an O2 sensor, which I can return. I bought a cap, rotor, plugs, and wires just to get it done and out of the way. I replaced the distributor and even though I was getting spark, i redid it anyway and checked for spark and got spark again, on each wire, on each plug, to each cylinder, the only thing i haven't been able to see is wether its sparking inside the engine, duh, LOL. I have checked the timing 4 times, I redid the timing belt and set the timing marks as perfect as you could imagine, as I took my sweet ole time to make absolutely sure they were EXACT. I did the compression and it was at 135psi, I cleaned the intake and the throttle body completely. I checked the EAVC on the back of the intake and have plugged all vacuums on anything that wasn't nessesary, which I checked and checked again. Now, it just cranks like I said, it doesn't even want to kick over. I haven't replaced the fuel filter or made sure it had a completely full to the top gas tank. BUT i know it gets gas. This is why it is soo fustrating!! ????????????????????????????????????????? I want to see if this will freshen up minds
    Well, it doesn't start, it just cranks now. I have set the timing to what the book says to do exactly, which was to set the crankshaft at the mark on the block, where the crank pulley is at the "red" dot in the center of the 3 slots, and the cam has been set to exaclt where the marks needed to be. I get spark, I get fuel, I tested the injectors and they are going on and off, I also pulled them from the motor and they did indeed spray fuel. I have not checked the MAP sensor because it is a ZC motor and they are different from the regular stock d16a6 where there are two hoses going to the firewall with I guess a pair of soleniods and so forth, this one is electronic. I checked the EAVC and it showed working properly. I have low compression but its still compression at 135psi. The damn compression tester stopped working today so I couldn't check it again. I have checked for spark time and time again, and always get it so its not to do with the distributor. IF YOU clean out your mailbox I can send you a PM but you have exceeded your mail space. What else you think could possibly I have mis diagnosed? This is driving me crazy!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Read sections A and B in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ics-46563.html

Does your car pass the 3 basic diagnostic tests every time?

Is the new distributor installed? Does it have a new ICM and coil?

Run the K-Test on your ECM.

If all of this checks out, I have reservations about all of the plugging of vacuum lines you did and how this affects your MAP sensor, which is the most important sensor on Hondas. MAP sensors are transducers, which convert changing manifold pressure into changing electrical voltage to the ECM. MAP sensors affect timing and fuel.

Jan 11, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Ok, the next time I am at the car, I will make sure that all those steps are taken even if I have done them 3 or 4 times already. I have a feeling it is something else even more stupid!

Jan 11, 2007, 09:56 AM
    It has a new distributor and it is getting spark. The coil is new and it is getting spark. I have spark tested it many times and it passes each time. I checked the injectors to see if fuel was an issue and it is not. I pulse checked them to make sure they were working properly, and they were. I don't know what else there is. I have checked timing and its dead on from what people have told me and what it says in the chiltons manual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 crx si no computer led, cranks, but no start [ 5 Answers ]

I am at my wits end. I will nutshell what is going on real quick. I recently purchased a 90 crx si one owner, 141K mile car that has sat for about 1.5yrs. I replaced the battery, drained the gas, put plugs in and tried to start. Car turns over, but no go. I then verified no spark, so I said hey...

1996 CRX won't start-please help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there! I bought a 96 CRX 1.6Esi four days ago, went to start it today and nothing happened! It just made some clicking noises! I had a look at some of the questions people have asked in the past and I think it sounds quite similar! I did the three questions and the CEL light comes on and goes...

Crx del sol won't start? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have got 1992 del sol,the problem is started two days ago when I took it to shopping went back to my car headlights side signal everything working but the engine wanted start.so I tried jump starting still nothing.so I left my car at the car park and went back to my car yesterday and tried...

1990 CRX no start, read the FAQ's... [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, here we go…. 1990 CRX DX 1.5 Manual Trans, Canada Driving to work the other morning, came to a stop and my 1990 CRX quit. I tried to re-start but it would not fire. Rolls over just fine but not even a hint of starting. Got it back home and broke out the Honda manual.. Yes, I have the...

View more questions Search