Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seanoc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 09:57 AM
    Who has a car to donate to me?
    I live in La Honda CA (sf bay area). I am flat broke, and will not be able to get to work without a car. Does any one have a running car? I lost my job in March, and have only part time work. Please help. I had a truck that died, and was not worth fixing at a high cost. I was borrowing a car, but my friend needed it back. I am really desperate.
    Thank you
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 10:02 AM

Have you looked into busing? Many people use public transportation to get to and from work, and it's far cheaper than owning, insuring, parking and fueling up a car.

The fact is, times are tough, and anyone with a running vehicle isn't likely to give it away for free to a stranger on the internet.

Good luck.

Dec 17, 2010, 10:19 AM
    I live in a rural area without busses. Obviously, I would do that if it were possible. I also tried moving closer to work, but the expenses of doing that were too much also. It is true, times are tough. This is a real shot in the dark.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 10:23 AM

It really is a shot in the dark.

Could you sell your existing car as is? That may give you some extra cash. Obviously you wouldn't get a lot because it's not running, but many people are willing to purchase for parts, or to fix it up.

Have you checked out small used car lots, or your local paper? Sometimes you'll find great deals, vehicles for $500 or less. I know $500 seems like millions when you're short on cash, but for a vehicle it's not bad. Maybe someone could loan you the money until you're back on your feet.

Dec 17, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Yes. I sold my truck to the junkyard for a few hundred, but the money went to my rent.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 10:46 AM

Call the reference department of your local library to find out contact names and phone numbers of charities or other organizations in your area that might be able to help. In my area, the village, township, and county would have possibilities for something like your situation. I'm originally from a rural area, so I do understand things are probably less "organized" around where you live. Again, start with the library's reference department and report back here so I can see what you found out.

Dec 17, 2010, 11:23 AM
    Thanks wondergirl. I'll try that
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 17, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Also try all the share-a-ride sites online. It's a lot of work searching for someone who is not only near where you live but also going to where you work, when you work, but you can at least post a ride wanted entry. Registering and insuring even a free car, a long shot at best anyway, isn't cheap.
    If you feel you can risk it, hitchhike with a sign that says 'must get to work' under the destination. You will get more sympathy.
    Put signs up on poles around both ends of the commute.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Donate me a car [ 5 Answers ]

I live in maynardville.tenn I am 52 years old and I draw s.s.I and s.s.a . I can't hardly aford my light or water bill. So that makes it hard to get a car. I would greatly appreciate it if you point me the right way.

Can someone donate me a car [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm a 29 year old single parent with 2 little kids 1 1years old the other one is 5 years old I'm currently in school and works I have to catch the bus in the cold to take my son to school and my little girl to daycare and then I go to school and I can't go back to work until I get another...

Who should I Donate my car to [ 6 Answers ]

Wasn't sure where to put this so car and truck seemed like the right place. I am getting the new 2010 Honda Insight this Friday, I did not use my car as a trade in. Even though it still runs, it is in bad shape. But with a medium amount of work it should be fine. My problem is I do not know...

Donate me a car [ 2 Answers ]

I am married with three small children. I am a painter for a construction company and started this job back in March of 08. Before that though I was out of work for over a year. We got for behind on our bills and came very close to losing our house. The mortgage company has allowed us to open a...

View more questions Search