Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scochra4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 07:32 PM
    Why does my mouse stops working when I turn on my external hard drive?
    moobloob Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 07:42 PM
    Power consumption from your USB hub, or your mother board. I suggest getting a better hub or larger power supply/it could also be your motherboard's usb connectors not drawing enough power (****ty motherboard).

Dec 17, 2010, 10:38 PM
    Would that apply if the HD draws it's power from an AC outlet?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 11:30 PM

Which HD are you referring to? The external?

Dec 18, 2010, 08:29 AM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    New external HD, with AC connection. I've tried both a simple wired mouse and a wireless mouse.

Dec 18, 2010, 09:55 AM
    What can I do to correct the problem? I'm trying to get my files, pics, etc. off this PC so I can install them on another one. My motherboard is MSI 865 PE Chipset... Will it do any good to take it to a pro, just to copy my C drive?
    moobloob Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2010, 01:21 PM
    From what I get from this you are trying to wipe your C drive and reinstall a new OS? FYI you can't just copy and paste all your games, and software and expect them to work after. Not saying your doing that. Maybe you have a new mouse and you haven't install the driver? Maybe your USB 2.0 has gone haywire? What operating system are you running? If your running win7 forget about the usb going haywire. Have you tried plugging your mouse into different usb ports? Each port runs independently through your computer. If you have XP try downloading this driver, if you already have it try it anyway. http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/via-usb2.html *Don't click the ad that says start download.*
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moobloob View Post
    From what i get from this you are trying to wipe your C drive and reinstall a new OS? FYI you can't just copy and paste all your games, and software and expect them to work after. Not saying your doing that. Maybe you have a new mouse and you haven't install the driver? Maybe your USB 2.0 has gone haywire? What operating system are you running? if your running win7 forget about the usb going haywire. Have you tried plugging your mouse into different usb ports? Each port runs independently through your computer. If you have XP try downloading this driver, if you already have it try it anyways. VIA USB 2.0 Driver 2.7 download for Windows *Don't click the ad that says start download.*
    The OP said nothing about wiping her drives. She is simply pluggin an external HDD in to copy files too it and this causes the mouse (wired or wireless) to stop working.

Dec 19, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Comment on moobloob's post
    No, I want to back up all my pics & docs. If you know of a place to download just a usb driver, I'll try it. I'm not going to pay $30 and take a chance of this site messing with all my drivers. I've been sucked into that con before.
    Networking Expert

Dec 19, 2010, 01:36 PM

If you go into device manger are there any yellow shields next to USB ports?

Right-Click MY COMPUTER
    Click MANAGE
    In the left pane CLICK DEVICE MANAGER
    Look for Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    betical Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Do you use a wireless mouse?there could be something wrong with the route that your hard driver may affect your mouse.since I just got a new optical mouse,do the excellent work,so you can just have a look.

Dec 22, 2010, 09:37 PM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    No, there are no shields in my device manager, and no conflicted hardware reported.

Dec 22, 2010, 09:39 PM
    Comment on betical's post
    I have tried both wired & wireless optical mouses. Both quit working when I turn on the HD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External Hard drive not working properly [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there! Can anyone help me figure this out? :confused: I recently bought a brand new external drive. Transcend storejet25c 500G. I verified it at the store and it works just fine. My laptop is an HP2500 pavilion, vista home premium. Well, my problem is that it sometimes works...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search