Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wcutter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
    My chest is wheezing and I have a blocked nose
    I'm 24 and I smoke, I have a bad cough and blocked nose , my doctor says it's a chest infection and gave me antibiotics. I'm just worried its lung cancer or something mre sinister. Help
    ramuthukuda Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 05:10 PM
    as you are young & doctor confirms it as a chest infection, more likely it is. But smoking gives different result in different body, be careful,
    antibiotic will help you to get rid of the infected bacteria if correctly used, and you can add other relieving medications, like brochodialater , mucolytic, anti histamine and don't sleep flat, make your bed at 45 degree propup. Inhale steam with deep breath like you are excersicing your chest for > 10 min 2 or 3 times a day. Humidify the room. If these won't help in 1 or 2 days go to a hospital, you may need to see with chest imaging like X Ray.
    quit smoking,
    do your family memebers have wheezing or Asthma or runny nose sneezing or alergy ? If yes you have a potential to become a Asthmatic & smoking aggravate it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2010, 05:16 PM

If you had lung cancer from just having a congested chest you'd be in the medical journals for sure. You just have a bad chest cold. Take the antibiotics, get rest and use a steam inhaler or just inhale Vicks in a steam kettle several times a day to help with the congestion.

Be sure to go back to the doctor if your symptoms don't go away after 2 weeks. You could have your chest congestion turn into bronchitis very easily. Try to quit smoking while you are ill also. This puts quite a strain on your lungs when you are sick with any kind of lung infection. Try to quit altogether after you are well. It's the first 2 weeks of not smoking that are the hardest. I ended up having bronchitis for 9 months - yes NINE months. I quit smoking. I even had to quit working in an office where other people smoked in order to get rid of the bronchitis. I kept going back to my doctor until I was better. Nine months to have bronchitis was way too long. Hope you don't make the mistake I did by still keep smoking or hanging around other people who smoked until I got better.
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Dec 22, 2010, 09:22 AM

If you decide you'd like to give up smoking, get the patches. That is
    How I quit... I needed the patches but I'm smoke free for a number of years... if I ever get the urge, I drink a glass of water and I also learned, the feeling passes in just a minute or two. Good luck.
    If your nose is painful, you may have a sinus infection. An ENT would be the best source in that case, but talk to your doctor first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blister on nose,size of silver dollar, nose res,hot swollen [ 5 Answers ]

Please help us. My husband 53 yrs old. Woke up 3 days ago with a Dark red, very hot to touch, swollen nose with a blister, the size of a silver dollar. It still hasn't broken and also the first day his cheeks were red and hot to touch. We have no insurance and he won't go out of the house. I have...

My 5 week old puppy has just started wheezing? [ 1 Answers ]

She is eating and playing fine her liter mates are all fine

Kittens sneezing or wheezing [ 4 Answers ]

I have about 3 kitten from ages 4 months to almost a year old, all very small. The all have green goo coming from their eyes like pinkeye, and runny noses, and sneezing or wheezing. Tow of the kittens are from the same litter but one is a lot smaller than the other, almost skin and bones. They are...

Wheezing rat [ 1 Answers ]

We have a rat that is wheezing and sneezing a lot. None of the local vets know anything about rats. We lost two out of the three already, and although The last rat is doing better then they were, he is still sick. This particular one is my husbands first pet ever, and it would be traumatizing for...

Read topics; still puzzled.blocked vent or blocked drain [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hi all. I just bought a ranch with a crawl space. My waste drain begins at my washer machine, past the kitchen sink, pass the bathroom tub and ties in with the main sewer line with the toilet and vent stack at the back of the main drain before it exits to the street at the front side...

View more questions Search