Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Dec 18, 2010, 12:49 PM

I read the articles. Not clear what gets recovered. They just say files.

Looks like the free versions of the recovery utilities only let you see the files. To actually recover them, you must purchase the utility. I think I might be better off buying Windows :-)

I think I'll forget about the file recovery route. Everyone seems to feel it is hit or miss.

Now, I need to get back to understanding this whole Windows purchase thing.

Someone claims to be selling a "new" factory sealed XP for $20 with COA that will work on ANY Dell. Is that possible?

Is a Windows Upgrade CD the same as a full version. I have one with COA.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 02:16 PM

What OS are you looking for?
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 02:21 PM
    There are 3 major differences between OEM vs Retail. The physical DVD disks themselves contain exactly the same content.

1. OEM copies of Windows Vista come in either 32, or 64 bit versions. You must decide which version you want, and make sure you purchase that copy. With a retail copy, you get both 32 and 64 bit Windows Vista DVD's in the same box.

2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows Vista on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. So if you were to sell then the discs go with the PC because it does you no good to have the OEM discs for a PC you don't have anymore.

Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows Vista cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time.

3. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call Microsoft for support with Windows Vista, you must pay a fee to do so. Retail copies come with a phone support incident included in the price. Generally, OEM's are cheaper for this exact reason. (note, I said generally, not guaranteed)

Dec 18, 2010, 03:11 PM

I am looking for XP.

My last question was regarding a Windows XP Upgrade CD I have. I believe it is a Retail version (it doesn't say OEM). But it does say that "the software will search the system to confirm eligibility for upgrade". I assume that means it will be looking for an earlier version of Windows. Do you know if I can load this on a formatted HDD without an earlier version of Windows (which I don't have)? It does have the product key.
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 03:28 PM

You could always try it! If you don't have any data on the HDD then you don't lose out on anything. I say try!

Let me know and it will be helpful to me to know as well. (info for my toolbox :))
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 03:33 PM

An "upgrade" would mean you already have something there. Like an older OS. Its not meant for a "fresh" install.

Dec 18, 2010, 05:04 PM

I just read online that someone downloaded a free trial version of Windows, didn't activate it, but was then able to "upgrade" using his Windows Update disk.

So far I can't find any free trial versions of Windows.

I do have an old OEM disk that came with an eMachines PC that has since been trashed. I wonder if I could load that on the Dell's blank HDD, just long enough to load the Windows Update disk??

Can you load an OEM disk from one PC manufacturer onto another brand of PC?

This is so frustrating. I have a legal copy of Windows XP UPDATE, but can't load it because I don't have an old version of Windows on the HDD as a starter.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Dec 23, 2010, 07:52 AM
    OEM software is sold to manufactures and usually dose not include documentation or packaging that retail software dose. As for the other "added" software that is supplied with retail computers it is installed to either provide a service or function not found in the base OS like DVD playback or the manufacture is paid to install the software(usually trail or "light" versions of the application in hopes the user will pay for the full version.
    For older computers there are several great Linux distributions that can provide a wonderful working environment for free Linux Mint is one of the easiest to install and use, being ready to go after the install.

Oct 23, 2013, 07:03 AM
    Thanks J.

Unfortunately, this program requires an operational computer already running Windows. My situation (3 years ago), was that Windows was deleted and I was trying to get the OS back.

Also, the software you recommended is $40. For anyone interested, her is an article about the best 15 free file recovery programs for 2013: 15 Free File Recovery Software Programs (Free Undelete Software)

Cheers...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2013, 07:39 AM
    Also, the software you recommended is .
    I'm pretty sure he's a shill for the software, those are his only posts here.

Oct 23, 2013, 12:28 PM
    Oh man. That never even occurred to me. Makes sense.

Hey NK. It's been ages. Hope you're doing well. You've helped me out so many times over the years.

I'm about to post a Windows 7 boot question. If that is within your area of expertise, perhaps you can take a look. Thanks in advance.

My apologies if I was not supposed to reference a different post.

Cheers.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2013, 01:12 PM
    In my last I was going to welcome you back. :)
    Post away, I'll see what I can do.

Oct 23, 2013, 01:18 PM
    Well thank you :-)

Here's a link to my new question: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/comput...ml#post3574218

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Accidentally formatted hard drive, need to recover. [ 4 Answers ]

My computer wouldn't do anything... frozen every time I started it and so I hit F10 on start up and thought I was restoring data to an earlier date and turns out that I formatted hard drive. I am devastated... I have videos of my dad and I talking right before he died, photos of the kids not to...

Recover data from Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if there is an easy, simple(yes, very simple), step By step way to recover data info from my computer hard drive?? I am not a computer geek, as in, not extremely knowledgeable as Far as computers go, so it would have to be very 1,2,3 or A,B,C As far as steps. Thanks for the...

WinXP NTFS formatted hard drive is "unallocated" [ 8 Answers ]

Howdy. I recently purchased a 500gb hard drive, hooked it up as the master (cable select on, plugged to end of IDE cable) drive on the secondary IDE channel of the motherboard then initialized and formatted it in WinXP SP2. Once this was done, the drive was recognized as "healthy, working" in...

How to recover data from hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

My Dell computer crapped out on me. I pulled both hard drives and they appear to be intact. I'm able to read them when I add them as slaves to my other computer. Here is the problem: My primary User on the primary drive, "Bob", will not allow me to access it. I can access all of the other Users,...

Data recovery from formatted hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

How do I efficiently recover my data? The hard drive was formatted and WinXP was installed but someone hinted to me sometime back that all data a hard drive has ever stored can be recovered, even though it was formatted more than once before. Can I recover my data (about 40GB of it)?

View more questions Search