Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Dec 15, 2010, 06:11 PM
    How to Recover a Formatted Hard Drive?
    A friend is giving me a PC that accidentally had the HDD formatted by her son fooling around, along with Windows XP and the drivers. There is no Windows or Driver CD available. I have heard of recovery utilities for deleted "files".

Is there any way to recover an entire drive including OS and drivers, (preferably a free utility)? I guess I am asking how to UN-format a hard drive... if it's even possible.

PS: I don't care about any user files. I just want to get the OS and drivers back.

Thanks...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 06:22 PM

Your best bet is to find a friend with a copy of windows that is the same as what came on the computer assuming the original sticker with ID number is still on it. Another thing is shop around. XP can be gotten for pretty cheap online. Check Amazon or eBay and places like that.

The recovery utilities that you speak of are normally run before any crash and burn occurs. That is how the information is recovered. Depending on what actually happened it may not be worth it to try to recover the drive. Easier to start new.

Dec 15, 2010, 07:47 PM
    Thanks CD3...

FYI: there was no crash. Just a kid fooling around and somehow hitting format.

It's an older PC, so I doubt I can find the original OS disk.

What is a decent price for XP, and how can I be sure I am getting a legal copy? Is it legal for someone to sell a used copy of XP, if they have trashed their PC?

Dec 15, 2010, 07:55 PM
    I see people (and stores online) selling OEM versions of XP really cheap. What's the deal with OEM? I thought that was only installed by computer manufacturers?
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 16, 2010, 04:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc View Post
    I see people (and stores online) selling OEM versions of XP really cheap. What's the deal with OEM? I thought that was only installed by computer manufacturers?
    Yes that is legal. The main thing is that you have a license for it. There should be a sticker that shows what version was installed on the machine.

You can check office stores etc for sales too.

Here is one of many on the net.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 OEM Full Version

Dec 16, 2010, 10:20 AM

Thanks. Can you briefly explain how OEM CDs differ from Retail?
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 16, 2010, 12:48 PM

It depends on the maker. OEM cd's tend to have more on them then just the OS. Like if your came with other programs like woed or accel or games. Then those would be on it. Also the OEM are made for specific computers. A true OS disk can go on any computer it is designed to go on.

Dec 16, 2010, 02:07 PM
    So the link you sent me below is for an OEM version of XP. How do I know it work work on my PC if it is made for a specific brand and model?
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 16, 2010, 05:46 PM

The link is a OS disk. Not a OEM disk for your computer.

o(original)e(equiptment)m(manufacturer)

What the os disk is will work on any computer that can handle the software. For requirements see the Microsoft website.

Dec 16, 2010, 06:25 PM
    Sorry, now I'm confused.

The link says OEM. You say OEM is for a "specific computer".

Then you said it will work on any computer that can handle XP (paraphrased).

Can you please clarify?

I have read that in order for Windows to work on any computer, it must be the "Retail" version. I still don't understand how an OEM disk can work on any computer.

Thanks CD...
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 02:05 PM

OEM means it came direct from mircosoft. In other words its an original disk not a knockoff or copy.

OEM from a computer company (install disks) are meant only for a limited amount of computers from THAT company.

Those from a computer company may also contain other programs on them that was original to your computer.

The OS disk will have nothing on it except the OS (Operating System)

Dec 17, 2010, 06:32 PM
    I did some online research on what the difference was between OEM and Retail version of Windows software. Here is what I came up with. The OEM version can only be used once on that system and no tech support from M.S. The retail version can be installed in multiple computers, one at a time. Meaning you can install then uninstall then install in another computer. Plus you can call or email M.S. for tech support. Also you get a fancy box and pay $50.00 more for the retail version.

Does this sound correct?

So, in either case, if the software is "used" it may not validate when installed, right?
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 08:00 PM
    I did some online research on what the difference was between OEM and Retail version of Windows software. Here is what I came up with. The OEM version can only be used once on that system and no tech support from M.S. The retail version can be installed in multiple computers, one at a time. Meaning you can install then uninstall then install in another computer. Plus you can call or email M.S. for tech support. Also you get a fancy box and pay $50.00 more for the retail version.

Does this sound correct?

So, in either case, if the software is "used" it may not validate when installed, right?

If it is "used" but you have a license for it then its OK to install. That's why even by borrowing a disk your still within the law.

And since the computer came with windows then your version is legit. It's a matter of matching it. Like windows xp pro or home or media edition.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 11:08 PM

What you have to realize is that when you buy a PC you don't buy the disc's persay. You buy the license.

You're worried that if someone already used the disc then you can't validate? Correct?
    This would only be an issue if you tried using the same key they used. You have your own key (label on the machine) so you're entitled to it. (if that makes sense)

For instance if you and I bought the same PC and you formatted your HDD (by accident of course). I could give you my discs and you can use them but you would use your own license.

Dec 18, 2010, 07:10 AM
    I recently had to reinstall Windows on my son's laptop, which fortunately was still running... barely. The license key label got wet and became unreadable. I installed a key finder utility and read the product key off the Windows disk. Gave it to Microsoft on the phone, and they said it was valid, did something on their end, and then the laptop passed validation.

So it would seem that there is a product key in the software that is supposed to match up with the COA label in some way.

This is all very confusing.

I got this from an online article on product keys:

1. If your system came pre-installed with XP, the Product Key that any (free or paid for) key finder or system resources utility retrieves most likely will be the Generic Key the OEM uses to install and NOT the Product Key you need to reinstall.
    2. If you successfully reinstalled XP since the initial OEM setup(i.e. The first time you booted the computer), the Product Key if requested and input from the key located on the case or generic OEM sticker label will be the valid Product Key supplied with the computer.
    3. If XP was not reinstalled the retrieved Product Key will be the generic Product Key used by the OEM and will return an invalid message when used to reinstall from the OEM disk. The correct Product Key will be the one from the sticker on the outside of the case.
    4. The Product key is not hard coded [i.e. does not have a singular unique identity] to the Windows XP CD or any other version of Windows installation disk media.

Dec 18, 2010, 07:21 AM
    My original question: can I un-format a formatted drive and recover windows and drivers, is still my best option if it is possible. Even if I bought a new copy of Windows, I still need all the drivers. Is it possible to un-format a drive?

If not, I saw an ad on Craig's List for a Windows CD that they claim will work on ANY Dell. Does that even make sense?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2010, 07:40 AM
    My original question: can I un-format a formatted drive and recover windows and drivers, is still my best option if it is possible. Even if I bought a new copy of Windows, I still need all the drivers. Is it possible to un-format a drive?
    Nope. Your best bet was to immediately set the hard drive as a slave in another computer then use any of the utilities here: Best Free Data Recovery / File Un-delete Utility However those are for deleted files, not a full disk format.

If you've already written anything to that drive your chances diminish.

Good luck.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 08:49 AM

This explains it in length.

Unformat a Drive; Step by Step Unformat Data Recovery instructions

Here is another explination and freeware to go with it.

http://www.easeus.com/resource/unformat.htm

Dec 18, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Thank you both for the info and links. I shall study up on this.

NK, good to hear from you again. It's been a long time.

BTW, I know for a fact that nothing was written to the drive after the format.

One thing here I am not clear on. If nothing was written to the drive, is it possible to un-format the entire drive including OS and drivers, or just individual user files?

Thanks again...
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 11:26 AM
    Thank you both for the info and links. I shall study up on this.

NK, good to hear from you again. It's been a long time.

BTW, I know for a fact that nothing was written to the drive after the format.

One thing here I am not clear on. If nothing was written to the drive, is it possible to un-format the entire drive including OS and drivers, or just individual user files?

Thanks again...
    Read the articles. They explain it a lot better. Its nothing so simple. And things could have been written and you just don't know it yet. Some recovery programs just grab raw files. Others might reassemble them into folders where they were. Again without looking at it it is really hard to say what's going to happen.

Its not likely that your going to get "everything" back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Accidentally formatted hard drive, need to recover. [ 4 Answers ]

My computer wouldn't do anything... frozen every time I started it and so I hit F10 on start up and thought I was restoring data to an earlier date and turns out that I formatted hard drive. I am devastated... I have videos of my dad and I talking right before he died, photos of the kids not to...

Recover data from Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if there is an easy, simple(yes, very simple), step By step way to recover data info from my computer hard drive?? I am not a computer geek, as in, not extremely knowledgeable as Far as computers go, so it would have to be very 1,2,3 or A,B,C As far as steps. Thanks for the...

WinXP NTFS formatted hard drive is "unallocated" [ 8 Answers ]

Howdy. I recently purchased a 500gb hard drive, hooked it up as the master (cable select on, plugged to end of IDE cable) drive on the secondary IDE channel of the motherboard then initialized and formatted it in WinXP SP2. Once this was done, the drive was recognized as "healthy, working" in...

How to recover data from hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

My Dell computer crapped out on me. I pulled both hard drives and they appear to be intact. I'm able to read them when I add them as slaves to my other computer. Here is the problem: My primary User on the primary drive, "Bob", will not allow me to access it. I can access all of the other Users,...

Data recovery from formatted hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

How do I efficiently recover my data? The hard drive was formatted and WinXP was installed but someone hinted to me sometime back that all data a hard drive has ever stored can be recovered, even though it was formatted more than once before. Can I recover my data (about 40GB of it)?

View more questions Search