Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sb4030 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 04:00 PM
    Flickering lights?
    Have a very brief & slight flickering of incandescent lights (on different circuits) every 45 seconds. Just started doing this during last week. Can't tell if the lights get brighter or dimmer - it happens so fast. No other electrical devices turned on that might cause flickering. Have an old house with some old wiring and a 60 amp fuse box. Fuse and light bulb changes made no difference. Electrician found no shorts or problem with fuse box or wiring but did suggest upgrading to 100 or 200 amp breaker box. He suggested I have power company check out power line in. Power company could not detect a problem - although squirrels had been chewing on line. He fixed that spot on the line and will have line replaced in future. He also said power company will do a more sensitive check of voltage coming into house by installing device by meter sometime after the holidays. Any ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 04:58 PM

Since you have some pros on site they will give you a much better answer than we can from reading symptons. I do not think it's a short at all but more like a loose neutral in your panel or your feed. Let the power company do their job, they would not appreciate hearing advice from outsiders
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Since you only have a 60 Amp service, any load upline could affect your power. It may be in the house next door. If you have a computer online, it could be the automatic memory update although 45 secs seems fast.
    sb4030 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Thanks for suggestions. Problem turned out to be a malfunctioning low voltage transformer on the circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flickering CFL lights [ 1 Answers ]

Why do CFL lights flicker when off. Its only the ones in light sockets that can dim.

Flickering Lights [ 2 Answers ]

All of the sudden... When we turn on our appliances downstairs, our lights in that area flicker. Why is this so? Should I be alarmed?? It has been doing this now for a couple of weeks. Thank You, Jenna Coy:eek:

Flickering Lights [ 2 Answers ]

Recently, we have experienced flickering lights at various spots throughout the house. As I'm typing this the lights just went off and back on and nothing else was on in the house. Our house is over 20 years old. Any idea where we should start investigating? It has never happened before.

Flickering lights [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: i have some lights that are flickering in the down stairs bath and hall and a small computer room what could be the problem? I think it could be a week braker, or a bad connection. What do you think. Thanks for any help.

Flickering lights [ 37 Answers ]

Bigg oops I thought I double posted the question some how and edited/lost the origonal Dangit will try to recompose it Issue of dimming lights, brightening of lights, constant flickering. All these would be a lot worse of a flicker when it is night time or windy out, but still quite often in...

View more questions Search