Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dixiewasher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 02:58 PM
    Can I claim my boyfriends child while the child is living with me?
    My boyfriend and I have been together since June 2010. He just went to work 3 weeks ago so I have been supporting him and his 16 year old son, full-time student, for this time. Can I claim the child as my dependent since I am providing 90% plus of his support?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 03:26 PM

You may, but ONLY if the child has actually lived with you the entire year. You must have provided more than half of the child's support, and the child's own income must be less than $3650 for the year. In addition make absolutely sure that your BF is not filing a tax return, because if he is then he has the right to cliam the child as his dependent, not you. Also - you want to be sure the mother isn't going to try to claim him as her dependent either.

And in anticipation of another question you may want to ask: you would file as single, not as Head of Household.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 08:19 PM

Even if you are eligible to claim the child, this does not make him head of household and you do not get EIC as the child is not your qualifying child.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 08:27 AM
    Of course, all of this complexity is avoid if you get married by 31 December 2010.

If you are legally married on that date (or your state recognizes common law marriages), the IRS considers you married for the entire year and you can file jointly with your now-husband, claim the child, get the $1,000 Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Credit.
    caseyfk Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
    I noticed my employer wasn't taking state taxes out of my check. I brought this to her attention and made out another W-4. I claimed single. My son. On the following pay day I noticed this time that there were no state or federal taxes taken out of my check. I spoke to my employer and she said the her book keeper told her that they were bing taken out! When I got my W-2 I saw that state federal was not being taken out of my check as I had feared for the last year!! Is there anything I can do?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 01:26 PM
    For 2012, save your money so you can pay the state when you file, and hope the under-withholding penalty is not too large.

For 2013, get your employer to fix the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Can one parent claim a child as a dependent and the other the child tax credit? [ 5 Answers ]

My ex-husband and I will be trading off claiming our son for tax returns. Our son lives with me and occasionally visits Dad (he moved about 900 miles away). Would I be able to claim the child tax credit during the years that Dad is claiming him as dependent? I think Dads income is too high to be...

Can a disable child still get child support if living in a group home [ 4 Answers ]

Will a disable child still get child support from his dad if he is living in a group home and mom is out of state?

Child not living with custodial parent but still collecting child support [ 1 Answers ]

Child is suppose to live mother but for over 12 months child has been living with grandpaernts but mother is collecting child support still. Is that against the law

Child support and arrears but child will be living with non-parent while in college [ 1 Answers ]

I am a non-custodial parent living in Atlanta, GA paying my court appointed child support plus arrears. This year my daughter will be 18 and will be living with me (coming from Sterling, VA) while going to college. Is there a way to negotiate the arrears amount or settle out on an agreed amount...

View more questions Search