Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joseph_spina Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 12:14 PM
    I have an older door opener, when the cold weather rolls in I can't close the door
    I have an older door opener part# 41a4315-7a, last year the safety beam sensors stopped working when it got cold but the door kepted working. Everything started to work normally when the spring came and got warmer, I tested the beam, I tested the down ward crushing pressure by holding the door open. This year I can't close the door [ when it got cold] with the car remote botton,the garage door supplied car closer 3 botton [wireless], or the inside wired botton unless I keep holding it, I close the door with the keypad when I hold the enter botton down after entering the security code there is no door access to the garage. I don't know what to do, I tryied disconneting the beams and the wired push botton and it still doesn't help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 12:22 PM

Can you disconnect the opener and try it by hand? I think its possible your track and rollers are binding in the cold. Don't disconnect the beams, it won't ever work at all if the beams aren't connected and looking at each other. Back to you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 02:09 PM

Hang on there Joe. Why the bad report, I said the cold was the cause "your track and rollers are binding in the cold." and you have now confirmed that when the cold is gone so is the problem. So I say again, why the bad report??

Dec 14, 2010, 03:16 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    The door does not bind, all the rollers look and work like new. I have disconected the opener at the track and the doort works very well. There is no grease or dirt on the track. It has to do with the opener itself
    meltrol Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Dec 15, 2010, 03:02 PM
    As already suggested... disengage the opener from the door and try lifting the door by hand. If it's binding you have a problem with the rollers, etc. If it's free, obviously the problem is with the opener itself. I have no idea what opener you have but if that model number happens to be for a Genie worm-drive, getting sluggish in the winter is a common problem. The screw mechanism needs to be lubricated with a cold weather grease like Lubriplate Aero or the grease you can buy at Home Depot specifically for the Genie worm-drive. Any other typical grease gets thick in the cold. If you've already lubricated it with the wrong grease you'll have to disassemble it and clean it out. Can't suggest anything further without actually being on site.

Dec 18, 2010, 06:16 AM
    Hey I fixed the opener. MY neighbor he is a repair tech, he googled the opener and told me he needed to replace the resistors in the safety beams or some of the resistors in the motor unit. After fixing the beams the opener worked like it was new, problem solved

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage Door Opener Will Not Close Door. Light Is Flashing. [ 16 Answers ]

Garage door opener does not close door. Light is flashing and there no obstructions in sensors. Chester

Garage door opener too close. [ 10 Answers ]

Replaced my old garage door with a new roll up one and now can not open the door full as the opener is not far enough to pull the door all the way. Opener is in from of a support beam for 2nd floor. Any Ideas or work around??

Garage door remote doesn't close door in colder weather [ 1 Answers ]

My garage door remote works fine when the weather is warm, however, if it gets below 60degrees, it won't close (no problems with opening it). When this happens, the only way to close it is to hold down the manual garage door opener continually until it's completely closed (otherwise it'll start...

View more questions Search