Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waterbabies Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 06:43 AM
    What is the liability of a home owner who has a convicted felon living with him?
    My step son has recently been convicted as a fourth degree felon and is now serving two years probation with a five years convection as a felon, seven years total before he can have it removed from his record. He has registered my home as his legal address. What is my liability while he is living with me?
    waterbabies Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 09:12 AM
    What are the New Jersey laws governing a fourth degree felon on probation.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbabies View Post
    WHAT IS MY LIABILITY WHILE HE IS LIVING WITH ME?.
    Hello w:

You have none.

Your second question is too open ended. I can't tell you ALL the laws that pertain... What is your problem. Please, spell it out... I can help.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 11:30 AM

First that is the time he can first try to have it removed, they are not as easy removed from your record as you may have been lead to believe

Next what is his age, is he 17 and still a minor then you may be responsible for many things,

Is he 30 and a adult, then you may have some responsibility if he is making drugs in your basement.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbabies View Post
    MY STEP SON HAS RECENTLY BEEN CONVICTED AS A FOURTH DEGREE FELON AND IS NOW SERVING TWO YEARS PROBATION WITH A FIVE YEARS CONVECTION AS A FELON, SEVEN YEARS TOTAL BEFORE HE CAN HAVE IT REMOVED FROM HIS RECORD. HE HAS REGISTERED MY HOME AS HIS LEGAL ADDRESS. WHAT IS MY LIABILITY WHILE HE IS LIVING WITH ME?.
    Your "liability" would be that his PO can come over and literally go through your entire home anytime they wish to as your step son has already signed paperwork giving them the right to do this without a warrant. If you have any problem with the PO nosing through your house or possessions then get rid of the "kid". You cannot have any firearms in your home either otherwise the "kid" will go to jail as he cannot reside in a home where a firearm is whether it is locked up in a safe or not. Also you need to remember that being on probation is a privilege and alcohol is forbidden to the "kid" so don't go around keeping booze in the home either. If you can't or don't like those provisos for the "kid"'s probation - then tell him to live elsewhere while on probation. Also all rx's must have proper documentation for all residents of the home when the PO comes calling and snooping. Also, if he listed YOUR home as his residence he MUST live there 24/7 and be home by 11PM or whenever his set curfew is just in case the PO calls the home or comes by at 11PM to check up to see if he does in fact live there. If he's using your home as a shill address be advised that they will find this out and violate his probation for lying about his home residence.

Those are your "liabilities" with having a convicted felon on probation in your home. Bunches of fun.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my girlfriend lose custody of her child for living with a convicted felon? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my girlfriend lose custody of her child for living with a convicted felon? Let me start by describing my background. I have convicted of failure to re-deliver leased/hire property. What happened was I was engaged two years ago and was renting furniture and other items from a rent to own store,...

Home owner liability [ 2 Answers ]

We had a friend fall off a low roof yesterday. He refused to have us call 911 stating he was okay. He then proceeded to walk around, strech his muscles, smoke and have 2 beers. This morning we were told that he was taken to the hospital late last night and was found to have a punctured lung, 7...

MN Home Owner Liability [ 2 Answers ]

If a branch from a tree in my yard is blown off in a storm and lands into the neighbors yard, who is liable for cleanup?

Home owner liability to injured worker [ 4 Answers ]

I have a cleaning lady who cut herself on a broken jar when taking out our trash. She had to have 5 stitches in her finger. Her husband's insurance covered all but $100 of the bill. She asked if I would reimburse her for the amount. Am I under any obligation to do so?

View more questions Search