Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mercedes98 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 05:22 AM
    HI, Can I get help with this question
    Groh and Jackson are partners. Groh's capital balance in the partnership is $64,000, and Jackson's capital balance $61,000. Groh and Jackson have agreed to share equally in income or loss. Groh and Jackson agree to accept Block with a 25% interest. Block will invest $35,000 in the partnership. The bonus that is granted to Block equals:
    a.  a. $5,000.
    b.  b. $2,500.
    c.  c. $6,667
    d.  d. $3,333
    e.  e. $0, because Block must actually grant a bonus to Groh and Jackson.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2010, 04:46 PM

When making the entry to record this transaction, you will be debiting cash for $35,000. You will be crediting Block's capital account for 25% of the total capital balance (64,000+61,000+35,000). The question is what to do with the balance.

If the value of assets added (the $35,000 cash) is less than the new partner's capital balance (25% of $160,000 = $40,000), the new partner recognizes the bonus. The $5000 difference will be debited to the old partners based on their share of net income (in this case they share equally).

If the value of assets exceeded the new partner's capital balance, the excess increases the old partners' capital balances (again based on share of net income, which is equally in this example).

Those words may sound confusing. If you break it down logically, the first thing is to compute the amount of his capital balance based on total capital times his percentage interest. Compare that to what he paid. If he paid less than that amount, he got a bonus - which is made up by the other partners. If he paid more than that, the other partners got a bonus.

Do you understand now?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Pregnancy question 14 dpo question about symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

Im 14 days dpo and have been having twinges and fluttering in my uterus. I had sex a couple of days before I ovulated and while I was ovulating. Could I be pregnant?

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search