Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    powelli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 11:41 PM
    Hipaa violation
    I started a new job,upon trying to get me into the company's computer system so I could process medical insurance claims, they inadvertently had got me into a portion of the system, that normally would not have been accessible at this company's location. Upon the trainer sitting with me realizing this, notified the superviser of this. The superviser came over and instructed me to put an ID # in which brought up her bosses info, and then asked some of the girls in the area if their was anyone else that they wanted to look up since I had this system mistakenly brought up under my log in name. Is this a hipaa violation??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2010, 04:45 AM

Yes, the supervisor was way off base by allowing unauthorized people to view personal medical records.

So what do you want to do about it? If the information was not further distributed, then its an internal thing and should probably be reported to HR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a HIPAA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I am undergoing a fit for duty evaluation and I was required to sign medical release documents. I was adivsed that if the evaluators required more information they would contact me, I was just contacted by my employer who stated they received a call from the evaluators stating that they had not...

? HIPAA violation [ 3 Answers ]

I am a ward clerk in a hospital and was recently terminated for committing a HIPAA violation. We had a patient transferring to a hospital out of town and the family asked for the address and phone number of the hospital the patient was going to. I informed the patient's nurse that the family...

HIPAA Violation [ 8 Answers ]

I went into the Hospital for a minor procedure. After being admitted a "volunteer" walked me to the surgery waiting area. While walking she looked at my paper work to see what procedures I was having done then stated "Oh your having a mass removed from your breast" then continued to tell me how...

HIPAA Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

My son, 17 years old, is in an outpatient drug rehabilitation center. They do random testing. Sessions are Monday through Thursday. He was tested on a Monday. That Thursday, one of the counselors told his girlfriend, also a patient there, that he tested positive for cocaine. He wasn't told...

HIPAA Violation [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a physician office. Our physicians want to sublease some office space to another physician practice. This arrangement calls for both practices to share some areas including the front desk/medical records office. I'm concerned that we will not be able to adequately safeguard our...

View more questions Search