Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goroski13marino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 08:40 PM
    Debit or credit in journal
    The board of directors reduced the par of common shares from $100 to $20. This action increased the number of outstanding shares to 500,000.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2010, 09:01 PM

I assume you are talking about a stock split, where originally there were 100,000 shares at $100, and now there are 500,000 shares at $20.

If this is the case, an entry is not needed. You would put a footnote in the financial statements to explain the change.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Dec 14, 2010, 12:57 AM
    I think perhaps you need to make a memorandum entry:

Debit Common Stock $100 par
    Credit Common stock $20 par

In the Balance Sheet the share capital will be reported as:

500,000 Common Stock $20 par... $100,000

The accompanying note to the financial statements will disclose the details of stock split referring to the authorization by the members as well as compliance of the legal formalities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Make a journal entry which is debit and which is credit? [ 4 Answers ]

How to make a journal entry what goes under debits and what goes under credits?

If I put 30k to start my business, what is debit & credit a/c in journal entry? [ 1 Answers ]

If I use 30k to start my own business, what's the debit & credit a/c in journal entry?

What do I debit/credit in journal entry/adjusting entry? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am unsure about the correct way to debit/credit these entries. Can someone help me? Window Washing Company opened on July 1, 2010. During July the following transactions were completed: July 1 Issued 14,456 shares of common stock for $14,456 cash. July 1 Purchased used truck for...

Debit balance, debit entries, and credit entries [ 1 Answers ]

This is a silly question I'm sure, and the answer is very simple, but it is driving me crazy... The problem is: At the beginning of the year, The Office Equipment account of Gulf Coast Airlines had a debit balance of $126,900. During the year, debit entries of $23, 400 and credit entries of...

View more questions Search