Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Dec 13, 2010, 01:51 PM
    my old dog
    My dog is almost 13 years old. He has a auto immune issue that is causing a wound near his butt that will not heal. After several months of trying different medical treatment and two vets still no improvement. After seeing a new vet today they suggest a blood test and x-ray as signs of possible spinal nerve damage are present. A blood test is suggested before putting on medication that will have some harsh side effects.
    I am torn as to put him through this as the meds might shorthen his life due to kidney problems,and surgery at his age would be pointless. He still eats drinks plays and enjoys life even if it is at a slower pace. Am I wrong in thinking just let things be.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 13, 2010, 02:10 PM

You're not wrong. If he's not in pain why put him through extra procedures, meds that will possibly make him sick? You have to weigh the pros with the cons. How much will new meds, all the procedures, improve his quality of life? If there's really no improvement, than why put him through it?

I feel the same way you do. At 13, if he's still happy, plays, enjoys himself, than I for one would leave him be, make sure he's not in pain, and enjoy the time you have left.

Dec 13, 2010, 02:31 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    Thanks, The meds while they may cure the wound will cause bladder and kindey problems. As much as I want to never have to say goodbye having him go through the effects of meds for so little promise of any improvement seems worse.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 13, 2010, 02:36 PM

Have you thought about maybe getting a second opinion, or even going to a homeopathic vet? There may be something natural that can help heal the wound without putting him through tests and on meds that will only make things worse in the long run.

My main concern for him is that he not suffer. That's always what I think about with my pets. If he's not in pain, tan I really would just leave things alone.

Is the dog your speaking of the one in your profile pic? The GSD? If so, he's lived a very long life already for his breed.

I know it's hard. If only they could tell us what to do, it would be so much easier. I'm sorry that you're going through this. I do understand. I have a 15 1/2 year old lab mix at home right now.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2010, 11:14 PM

Was the medication called Metacam? If so the chance of liver problems is only small and it is an absolutely wonderful drug.

My mums poodle has elbow displaysia and he could barely walk, since going on metacam he now actually runs and can jump on the sofa again.
    nairshar Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2010, 07:31 PM

I suggest , Your GSD has lived 13 long happy fun and memorable days , don't put him through this difficult medication that will cause him pain , let him go away peacefully without any pain during his last days/years .

May be something natural would help heal the wound , *** take a second opinion from a vet before you do this to him .

Dogs are speechless & they can't express doubling our responsibility when it comes to surguries & meds that are painful , or anything that is painful for that matter..

Dec 28, 2010, 08:15 AM
    I have taken him to three vets. The meds for his hips are not the promblem. The meds for the wound near his anus are. He has been on cephalexin,steroids, and baytril over the course of three months in an effort to heal the wound. The last vet wants to put him on medication for autoimmune. I am not sure of the brand name but he did caution me of the side effects.

Since the last visit I have kept him on only the meloxicam every third day for his hips. I do a daily butt cleaning ( which he does not like at all) but it seems to keep the wound from getting worse.And he is not so stinky. He still enjoys his food and toys and us so I will keep up the current meds rather than put him on more .

And yes that is him in the picture.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 11:48 AM

Aww, I;m sorry to read this Mydog. I hope your beautiful boy pulls through. I don't really have any further advice for you, it seems you are doing everything you can for his comfort. He is blessed to have such a wonderful and caring pet owner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant and not eating I have tried allsorts of dog food [ 7 Answers ]

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant I have tryde allsorts of dog food can anyone help me

Neglected dog. My neighbor leaves her dog locked in a cage all day while she is at [ 5 Answers ]

Work, then comes home lets the dog out and locks the dog right back up again in her cage and she proceeds to go out until all hours of the night. I hear the dog moving around in the cage. I don't understand why she even has a dog, she doesn't spend any time with it. Besides dogs not being...

My dog ate a meat bone my dad gave him. My dog is now shaking and is lethargic [ 10 Answers ]

My dad heard on a radio show it is good to give dogs bones. So he gave my dog a meat bone and now my dog is shaking and acting lethargic. What should I do I am worried and concerned??

View more questions Search