Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozoDOP2 Posts: 112, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Why are there jobs with salaries where people can't live on their own?
    10 dollar/hour. 9 dollar/hour.

Rents are so high and everything... so with those salaries how the heck can you live on your own.

Are most people nowadays, just limited to either finding a girlfriend and marrying and living together by each sharing the rent. Or roomates. no more are the days where one could live on their own in an apartment?
    And I mean with people who get jobs with those salaries.

Not everyone is an Engineer or whatever.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 04:06 PM

We learn to live within our means and survive quite nicely thank you very much. I have a nice home, maybe a couple of jobs but I enjoy the balance. That is what we do in this ever changing economy. In Ontario we have a new tax and it makes it a little more difficult, but we adjust.

Tick
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 04:07 PM

Those salaries are usually for jobs that don't require an education. Jobs like fast food, delivery clerk, cashier, etc. Most times these jobs are filled by people still in high school or college, working to make a little extra money.

No, it's not enough to live on. That's why a college degree is so important. If you want to make enough money to survive, you'll have to get an education, or win the lottery. ;)

Where can you get an apartment with that salary? There are low income properties out there, you just have to search for them.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 04:14 PM

There was an article in yesterday's paper that featured homeowners who are renting rooms to people. The renters need a place to live, and the homeowners need money for their mortgages. Homeowners were urged to carefully screen their renters before having them sign a lease agreement.

The U.S. has gone from a manufacturing economy to a service economy that doesn't pay nearly as well. A lot of domestic jobs that could be second jobs for people (help desks, telemarketing, etc.) have gone overseas.

College grads are not finding jobs in their fields. It's definitely tough out there right now.
    cozoDOP2 Posts: 112, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2010, 04:20 PM
    To the poster who said "those jobs are for people without an education" That's dumb. Some of us went to college whatever, but we're quiet and we don't get great jobs because companies don't want quiet people( I proved this a lot of times, even in the company I'm at now.. they think I'm weird cause I'm not a loud guy). They want people with people skills and leadership and all that BS. So we go for the jobs that don't require much talking. That's why I've always done scanning and filing etc.

Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozoDOP2 View Post
    To the poster who said "those jobs are for people without an education" That's dumb. Some of us went to college whatever, but we're quiet and we don't get great jobs because companies don't want quiet people( i proved this alot of times, even in the company i'm at now.. they think i'm weird cause i'm not a loud guy). They want people with people skills and leadership and all that BS. So we go for the jobs that don't require much talking. That's why i've always done scanning and filing etc.
    So companies want employees who have people skills and leadership skills "and all that BS."

What do you have?

(P.S. "Being quiet" has nothing to do with getting a job or not.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 04:34 PM

It is no different than 40 years ago, Or worst before when there was no min wage at all. I used to work for 1.75 a hour and was glad for it ( since it was better than many made) but you still could not live on your own.

So you work two jobs or you live in very cheap rooming houses or more.

This is just the way it has always been.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozoDOP2 View Post
    To the poster who said "those jobs are for people without an education" That's dumb. Some of us went to college whatever, but we're quiet and we don't get great jobs because companies don't want quiet people( i proved this alot of times, even in the company i'm at now.. they think i'm weird cause i'm not a loud guy). They want people with people skills and leadership and all that BS. So we go for the jobs that don't require much talking. That's why i've always done scanning and filing etc.
    Do you honestly believe that you're not getting a good job because you're quiet? I'd bet that it has more to do with your qualifications, your intelligence, and your willingness to learn.

If you went to college to work in a field that requires you to deal with the public, then yes, you'll need to learn people skills. That should be have been evident.

It sounds to me like you chose the wrong field of study.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Site for people who have to live with people with addictions [ 10 Answers ]

Hey, everyone. Wish I could say I'm doin' all right, but right now... Well I just can't.:( For years I've tried my best coping with having to live with people around me who abuse drugs and acohol, and I'm fed up. I can't do it anymore. Its really hard because of the drugs and the alcohol being used...

Confused on Salaries Payable/Salaries Expense [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I'm doing a comprehensive problem for my accounting class. For the first part, we're supposed to journalize and post the transactions. The only one I was confused on was this one: July 20 Paid $1,600 for employee salaries. In the journal, do I record it as this: Date: July 20 Acct....

Names, salaries and tax details of directors and salaries at a non-profit? [ 1 Answers ]

There is a public website that stores publicly filed tax form, accesible by the public on Internet, completed by the CFO's of non-profits to qualify their 403b status and other non-profit needs. It lists all the officers of the associationm their roles and salary as of the last filing. Would you...

People Jobs [ 3 Answers ]

I'm Interested In People And Their Behaviour And The Way They Think And Stuff. What Future Career Do You Suggest? I'm Just Clueless At This Point As To What I Would LikeTo Do With My Life. Thanks :]

View more questions Search