Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesscott14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Bathroom light and fan wiring problem
    Ok.. I just tried to install a new light switch for the light. The switch for the fan was turning the fan on and worked fine. Once I had installed the light switch everything seemed to be OK. The light cam on, the fan came on. About an hour later I went to the bathroom to check the switches again just out of curiosity. Turned the light on, turned the fan on and the turned the light off. POP. Now, the light will not come on... nor the fan. I can't tell anything about the wiring because they seem to be all hot (black) for both the light and the fan. What the heck is going on ? I have tried every possible wiring combination on the light switch as well as replacing the fan switch. Any answers would greatly appreciated!!

-jS
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 04:55 PM

Since this is a bathroom the first thing to check for is a tripped GFCI. You should either have a GFCI receptacle with a small rectanglar reset button or a GFCI breaker in your panel. Confirm neither is tripped, back to you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing bathroom exhaust fan and light with different wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing a bathroom exhaust fan and light , same brand , same set up,(fan,reg light and night light) newer model but the wiring is different . Old wiring from the ceiling has white, red, black and ground. New system has white, red, black and ground and a yellow wire? Where does the yellow wire go?

Wiring for bathroom fan/light [ 3 Answers ]

How do I wire a bathroom fan/light to 2 switches when I have 2 red wires 1 white and 1 black coming from the switch and fan has 4 wires 1 black 2 whites and blue?

Wiring a bathroom fan/light and new switch [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new bathroom fan/light and switch in place of the old ones. They work okay but they're not very eye-appealing. I have the new parts and I figured, the new setup would be the same as the old. By the way, the old switch controlled the fan and light separately. I want the new switch...

Wiring 2 switches to a bathroom fan/light [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to have my bathroom light/fan operate separtaly, with one switch operating the light and the other operating the fan. The power coming to the switch is 3 wire (black, white, and ground). The wire coming from the light/fan:confused: is 4 wire (black, white, red, and ground). I have 2...

Bathroom light + extractor fan wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to replace the light fitting in the bathroom, but the extractor fan is connected to it, there is a number of wires which are all connected, with only 2 brown wires coming down, but I have 3 connections on my new light fitting -earth, live, neutral, how do I connect it properly?...

View more questions Search