Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitetrash Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Truck problems
    I have a 03 F250 superduty 6.0 when driving it cuts out and puffs black smoke,the boostgage maxes out, its been in the shop twice first time they changed fuelpump second time they changed EGR, MAP sensor, ICP sensor, it still does it every now and then. What else can this be?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2010, 11:17 AM

This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1977241

Be sure and only use SAE 5W-40 full synthetic heavy duty diesel engine oil in your PSD. Only use Motorcraft oil and air filters. This link will further amplify this:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1415281
    whitetrash Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2010, 11:32 AM
    I use what oil the ford dealer puts in it
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2010, 11:46 AM

You don't want to go that route. Tell your Ford dealer to use Motorcraft® SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil.
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2010, 02:07 PM

The first link clearly indicates that your black smoke is due to too much unburned fuel being blown out the exhaust. It is usually due to restricted air flow (inlet/exhaust restriction or dirty air filter) or engine overload. Restricted air flow problems should be pretty straight-forward to solve. Ford has warned repeatedly that not using Motorcraft air filters can adversely restrict air flow and even damage turbo blades. Engine overload issues can be, however, trickier to solve.

Even though you did not mention it, I suspect you may have installed a power chip, causing engine overload (boost gauge maxing out), black smoke, and engine shut down. I recommend using the standard OEM chip. On a diesel engine, injecting more fuel will result in more power--up to a certain point. This is almost the opposite of a gasoline engine where adding fuel and richening the mixture excessively will kill performance and lower power. A diesel engine is different. As you add more fuel and richen the mixture, power output will continue to climb until the point that there is so much fuel that much of it is unburned (or partially burned black smoke) and then the power increase will taper off. Before the power increase drops off dramatically, you'll be facing another limiting factor--exhaust gas temperature (EGT). Adding more fuel makes more power, but it also raises EGT. If you add too much fuel and exhaust gas temperatures get too hot, then you can seriously damage your engine. Hence, the suggestion to only use synthetic HDDO. This is the best way to protect the turbo and the engine from excess heat and pressure, due to engine overload.

WhiteTrash, since you don't have much experience with diesels, this is all new to you. You bought the most problematic diesel engine Ford has ever made, from the worst 3 years in the life of the 6.0 (2003 to 2005). Many of us, with a great deal of experience with diesels, have seen bad black smoke issues completely clear up just by switching to full synthetic HDDO. We have also seen PSD fuel pressure problems solved by using synthetics. Read about the condition of the oil affecting Injector Control Pressure in the link. It's a fact that turbos, diesel engines, and transmissions simply perform better and last longer with synthetics. Research it and then try it for yourself--don't just use whatever the dealer suggests. They have an interest in your PSD breaking down and not lasting long. If you want to continue having problems with your diesel, stick to your current program. The links had everything to do with your problem. End of story.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chevy truck alternator problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1985 winnebago motorhome. Chevy truck, 454 eng platform. The alternator seems to work OK but when you rev up the motor the voltage gage is pegged at 18 volts. I turn off the motor then restart and it works OK until I rev it up again, Same thing happens. I have replaced the alternator. ...

Truck Problems / GM Fault Codes [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Mechanical Guru's! First some info on the truck; 1990 Chevy 1500, 350 Engine, Fuel Injected, Standard Transmission. Last year I was having a problem with the truck either idling too high, or not at all (dies if foot was removed from gas, when supposed to be idling - not driving down...

1982 dodge truck alternator problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 82 dodge d 150 with a 318 my truck was dying and was not charging so I changed the alternator and it worked until I turned on the headlights then it died I noticed that the belt was loose so I tried to tighten it and then it ran fine all day then that night I turned on the lights and it...

Dodge truck wiring problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Dodge Truck with a Cummins in it. The head lights went out in it the other day, but I still had marker and running lights. I purchased a new head light switch and installed it but now not only do I not have head lights but I have no running or marker lights. The warning buzzer...

1994 chev truck elect problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a truck that the volt gauge flickers when it is started. The alternator was repalced twice and two different batteries. Also th whole grounding system was gone through. Now even the wipers work after the truck has been running for awhile not right away and when they start each time the brake...

View more questions Search