Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbirch2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2010, 09:36 AM
    Can a judge force me to pay for college loans in New Jersey
    My ex-wife is trying to get me to pay for my 24 year olds student loan. Can a judge in New Jersey force me to do so,
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2010, 06:44 PM

Only if this is stipulated to in a divorce settlement agreement you signed years ago that you would contribute to the kid's college education OR you are a cosigner on a student loan for the kid. Otherwise your ex is not going to prevail.

Did you EVER verbally say to her that you would pay half of the kid's education or is she just saying you did? What proof does she have other than her big mouth to show the Judge that you agreed to pay for anything? The kid is 24 and is now a full grown adult who should happily pay for his own college.

Has she filed paperwork with the Courts or is she just threatening to do this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a judge make you pay the full amount if you are not able to? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe money from a friend and they took me to court because they want me to pay the full amount. Would the judge order me to pay the full amount even if I am not able to?

Fears of not being able to repay college loans! [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how people cope with college loans that they can not afford to repay. What happens to people who have over $100,000 in college loan debt and do not have the resources or good job to be able to repay? Are wages garnished? To what degree? Other assets taken away? I...

Will a judge make me pay an old credit card debt? [ 7 Answers ]

I had a credit card between 8 and 10 years ago. The credit limit was $1000.00 dollars. I probably maxed it. Now I get a bill for $3500.00 dollars and I am headed to court this month. My financial situation has changed in the last 8 years and I cannot afford to pay more than $25.00 dollars a...

Pay check taxes in New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

If you live an work in NJ and gross 70,000 a yr what amount or percentage of taxes are taken out on a biweekly basis?

View more questions Search