Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jellibutt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2010, 05:14 AM
    How do I make my Puppy toilet outside
    My 6 mth old Jack Russell poohs and pees inside and the mess and smell is disgusting. I have 2 older Dogs and she doesn't learn from them. Even on a walk, she will not do anything. She will have to be rehomed if we cannot stop her
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Dec 12, 2010, 06:27 AM

What have you done for training? Have you just assumed she will take her cues from the older dogs?

When you walk your puppy, you need to stay outside with her until she does her business. If it takes an hour, so be it. This is all about taking the time needed to teach your dog what you expect of her. If you don't give her the time she needs to do her business outside, she will never learn what you want from her. Make sure you have some treats in your pocket and when she pees, make a huge deal out of it, praise her to the sky verbally for at least one full minute, and give her a small treat. When she poops, repeat the process.

Here are a couple of web sites that give a lot more detail to properly house training a puppy. Please read them carefully.

Housetraining Puppies : The Humane Society of the United States

House Training A Puppy

When your dog is inside and you can't monitor her, crate her so she doesn't have any accidents. If she does have an accident inside, DO NOT, yell, hit, scold,. ignore it and clean it up. Dogs respond to positive reinforcement as I have described in the earlier paragraph above. Eventually, she will make the connection and will do her business outside only.

If this is all just a bit too much work for you and you don't have the time to put into training, I suggest you rehome your puppy before she gets any older. The older they get, the harder it is to housebreak them. You owe it to her to give her the right start in life.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 06:29 AM

You assist your pup to be properly housebroken by being diligent in your training. Your description of the mess is disgusting and indicates you think that the pup will learn this himself from your other dogs. She won't learn from them, that is not the way to try to teach her proper etiquette in the house.

Get her on a regime whereby she goes out at a certain time of the day, or every time you see her sniffing around, because you must know by now how her bladder works if you have had her for a while.

I would hate to think that you would have to rehome her if YOU can't train her properly. It isn't actually her fault, but yours alone for not trying hard enough to help her learn better habits.

Tick
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Another_Lemming View Post
    What have you done for training? Have you just assumed she will take her cues from the older dogs?

When you walk your puppy, you need to stay outside with her until she does her business. If it takes an hour, so be it. This is all about taking the time needed to teach your dog what you expect of her. If you don't give her the time she needs to do her business outside, she will never learn what you want from her. Make sure you have some treats in your pocket and when she pees, make a huge deal out of it, praise her to the sky verbally for at least one full minute, and give her a small treat. When she poops, repeat the process.

Here are a couple of web sites that give a lot more detail to properly house training a puppy. Please read them carefully.

Housetraining Puppies : The Humane Society of the United States

House Training A Puppy

When your dog is inside and you can't monitor her, crate her so she doesn't have any accidents. If she does have an accident inside, DO NOT, yell, hit, scold, .... ignore it and clean it up. Dogs respond to positive reinforcement as I have described in the earlier paragraph above. Eventually, she will make the connection and will do her business outside only.

If this is all just a bit too much work for you and you don't have the time to put into training, I suggest you rehome your puppy before she gets any older. The older they get, the harder it is to housebreak them. You owe it to her to give her the right start in life.
    Hi JAL, in case you didn't get your greenie, I did try but it said I can't give to the same post twice!!

Tick
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 06:47 AM

When Owen was young whenever he woke up he went outside to do his business. After he ate he went outside. If we found him starting to do his business in the house, we gave him a slight push picked him up and put him outside. That only works if you catch him in the act, if you are too late then say nothing and clean it up. Also praise praise praise. Go overboard on it so the pup knows he did something right. I am sure my neighbors thought I was nuts but it worked and that is all that matters It was a lot of work on our part but it worked. Puppies are a lot of work to train but the results are worth it. You need to be consistent and loving.

Susan and Owen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to toilet train a old puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 month dog from the shelter. She 's not been walked and doesn't know the concept of doing it outside. I walk her for a long time and she doesn't relieve herself. But the moment she is back in her own area (I keep her out with playpen in her own sleep area) she will do it. And she doesn't...

How To Make Puppy Walk On The Leash? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a pomeraniam and I think it's abnormal. She doesn't like to walk on the leach, I treid many ways such as giving her treats, pet her, ask her favourite person to train her, just no use! She just lying down on the ground and give me that pity look. I tried collar at first, she's OK with it.....

Seriously, kid flushed puppy down toilet? [ 5 Answers ]

Oh my gawd people can be idiots! The poor little puppy. They shouldn't have given the puppy back to them... my gawd. Don't people LEARN about buying a dog before they hand over the money... And what about educating your children?? Yours sincerely, Very very angry.

Toilet flange bolts make toilet sit at wrong angle [ 2 Answers ]

Previous owners put a bathroom in the rec room. When they installed the toilet flange (to the sewer) it was not aligned with the wall. The toilet sits at a crooked angle, not aligned to the wall. After removing the toilet - the flange that holds the toilet bolt-downs needs to be rotated so...

How do I make my puppy come to me? [ 4 Answers ]

Hes a very stubborn saint bernard/ pit mix I rescued from the shelter when he was 6 weeks old now all the cuteness has faded and I am getting to wits end. I love him so much and all I need to know (Because I live in the country) is how to MAKE him come to me when I want him to. Help please.

View more questions Search