Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    urbad1 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 10:59 PM
    MILITARY DEADBEAT DAD hiding behind the LAW. *** HELP!!
    . Went to legal aid and was informed that he was protected under Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and enforcing a DNA test or judgment would be nearly impossible. Is that true even thou he is on active duty he is stateside and not deplyed he just doesn't want to do it because he knows it's his child.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 05:11 AM

If that is what the military states, why don't you believe it ? Here is the website for this act. Basically said they are resolved from civil actions related to child support, etc. so yes, you were told the truth because having him up for a DNA tests probably means you want to prove he is the father so you can collect child support.

Usmilitary.about.com/cs/sscra/a/scra2.htm (you will have to cut and paste url, sorry my link didn't work) or access the website through Google.

Tick
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 06:27 AM

Was he listed on the birth certificate? Were you married at the time the child was born? There are ways of getting things done but some of the rules may be a little different is all because of the military but they deal with child support all the time.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 07:05 AM

Quote Originally Posted by urbad1 View Post
    . Went to legal aid and was informed that he was protected under Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and enforcing a DNA test or judgment would be nearly impossible. Is that true even thou he is on active duty he is stateside and not deplyed he just doesn't want to do it because he knows it's his child.

It is not so true...

Generally, the father of any illegitimate child may be required to provide child support through paternity proceedings. Where the father has not acknowledged the child, paternity must be established in court or administratively. The degree and the kind of required proof depends on the purpose for which it is used, and the State law involved.

Aside from the moral issue of fatherhood, child support obligations and some government benefits depend on whether the military member is the biological father.
    Paternity establishment is essentially a state law matter for resolution - either judicially or in some states in an administrative proceeding.

The mother of an illegitimate child may allege paternity in a letter to the soldier or his commander, may seek to force the father to provide support through State child support enforcement agencies. Other actions may be brought in connection with divorce, dissolution of marriage, annulment, or spousal support lawsuits, or by a welfare agency.

Often the best place to start is the local Child Support Enforcement Office (CSEO) in your state. CSEO offices are usually listed under "Human Services Agencies" in the local government section of the telephone directory. If there is no separate listing, call the local District Attorney's Office and ask them for the number. The CSEO will either provide everything you need to obtain support, usually for a very small fee; or, depending on your particular circumstances, they may refer you to a private attorney.
    Family Law Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 07:09 AM

Military Paternity Issues
    what is a paternity lawsuit, how is paternity established - military
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2010, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by urbad1 View Post
    Went to legal aid and was informed that he was protected under Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and enforcing a DNA test or judgment would be nearly impossible. Is that true??
    Hello u:

No, it's not.

In addition to the fine answer you received from GV, I took a look at the act. Read about it here. The Act protects service members from being evicted, and overcharged rent, and things that we WANT our military protected FROM. In so doing, the Act protects the military from SOME legal procedures... PATERNITY isn't one of them.

As you are now aware, legal aid was worth what you paid - NOTHING! You need a lawyer.

excon
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello u:

No, it's not.

In addition to the fine answer you received from GV, I took a look at the act. Read about it here. The Act protects service members from being evicted, and overcharged rent, and things that we WANT our military protected FROM. In so doing, the Act protects the military from SOME legal procedures... PATERNITY isn't one of them.

As you are now aware, legal aid was worth what you paid - NOTHING!! You need a lawyer.

excon

Hi exxy, About.com have a different version. The url I provided in my post reads differently then yours, and could possibly be construed to exclude paternity tests and support payments [B]during active duty[/B

Usmilitary.about.com/cs/sscra/a/scra2

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2010, 08:51 AM

Sorry tickle, but I side with excon here. To quote from one of the links (US Military, Servicemembers Civil Relief Act - Articles

Court Proceedings. If a servicemember is a defendant in a civil court proceeding, the court may (note the word "may"), on it's own motion, grant a 90-day stay (delay) in the proceedings.

It does state that this applies to all lawsuits and specifically includes paternity suits. But it leaves the stay up to the discretion of the court unless the father can get a request from the military.

But read the OP. She was told that it would be "nearly impossible" to enforce this. Even granted the court would allow the 90 day stay, it is clear the SSCRA was not intended to allow service members to escape their obligations, only to postpone them when it would interfere with their military service.

So, to urbad, file for child support. As part of the child support request the court will order a DNA test. I seriously doubt if the court will postpone that. It may be that the military already has DNA on file for the father and will not even need to take a sample from him.

It is possible the court will postpone, for 90 days, the hearings on support.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2010, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    The url I provided in my post reads differently then yours, and could possibly be construed to exclude paternity tests and support payments during active duty
    Hi tick:

Yeah. The law is kind of funny like that. I find it HARD to believe that military fathers are protected FROM having to support their children... It might make the soldier feel better, but it's NOT in the public interest. That's why she needs a lawyer.. He won't charge her if there's no case.

excon
    Family Law Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    hi exxy, About.com have a different version. The url I provided in my post reads differently then yours, and could possibly be construed to exclude paternity tests and support payments [B]during active duty[/B

usmilitary.about.com/cs/sscra/a/scra2

tick
    Hello Tick!
    You read it in wrong way.
    The goal of Servicemembers Civil Relief Act is not to allow avoiding of obligations.The goal is to protect some members on military duty from "father shopping".
    Now CCRA protects those men . They have right to be informed.

It does not mean that a military employed man will be free from his obligations
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    Hello Tick!
    You read it in wrong way.
    The goal of Servicemembers Civil Relief Act is not to allow avoiding of obligations.The goal is to protect some members on military duty from "father shopping".
    Now CCRA protects those men . They have right to be informed.

It does not mean that a military employed man will be free from his obligations
    Hi GV, thanks for pointing that out.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deadbeat dad [ 6 Answers ]

If the deadbeat owes $50000 how is it fair he can see his kids still? Is it in the best interest of the kids or his not to pay?

Deadbeat is hiding,not paying [ 5 Answers ]

The father of my now 3 year old daughter left when I was 8 months pregnant. And has not seen his daughter since she was about a month old... we were not going through lawyers because he was not fighting anything. So we both went through the family law office,we would get legal advice but no one...

My dad is a deadbeat [ 13 Answers ]

My parents were not married and nor lived together I am now 19 andput off college until I worked and saved money for it and a car.My dad wasmade to pay child support about 3 years ago and before that he never paid anything when he found out iwas working and not in school he got a lawyer to...

Deadbeat Dad [ 3 Answers ]

I was married for 7 years. During that marriage we had two boys. We were divorced and I was granted full custody. He was granted long distance visitation. (6 weeks in summer, 1 week during Christmas break) Since the divorce in 02, he has always got them for their visitation. He hasn't however paid...

Deadbeat dad [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have been separated for the last 2 months. One day he just up and left. To this day nobody knows why. He has given me maybe 150 dollars for "child support." He has not tried to spend any time with our daughter and now he thinks he is going to get her this weekend. Can I tell...

View more questions Search