Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2010, 08:39 PM
    If doomsday happened, who'd run things?
    Hello:

If a WMD wiped out Washington, D.C. who would run things? Where does it say anything about that? There's NOTHING in the Constitution.

excon
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Dec 11, 2010, 09:12 PM
    I'm hoping our government is smart enough to have a back-up plan away from Washington D.C.
    If not... Canada would most likely take us over.

Don't you think so, eh? ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 09:17 PM

Military takes over, They have many doom day plans worked over and over.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2010, 11:59 PM

Some guy like Haig. Ex you haven't found a WMD have you?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 12:40 AM

I take over. I baked them cookies and they agreed that I'm next in line to take over the world. They're so easy to convince. :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 12:14 PM

Actually the order of succession is established in the Constitution and through the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 (not long after FDR died, and just as the fear of A-bombs was beginning to get started). The order of succession is:

VP
    Speaker of the House
    President Pro Tempore of the Senate
    Secretary of State (the afore-mentioned Alexander "I'm in charge here" Haig comes to mind).
    Secretary of the Treasury
    Secretary of Defense
    Attorney General
    And the list continues through the other 11 cabinet officers.

You never find all these people in the same place at the same time - for obvious reasons. I suppose if Washington DC got wiped out the remaining members of congress and executive branch would have to gather some place else. But then there is nothing in the Constitution that establishes Washington DC as the capital.

Side note - if you ever get to the Greenbrier Hotel in WV you can take a tour of the old bomb shelter which was supposed to be the place for members of congress to escape to in case of emerguency in Washington - that bomb shelter was secretly built to house up to 1000 people, and was active until the mid 80's when its cover was blown. Now it's just a tourist stop. See: The Greenbrier's Bunker
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Side note - if you ever get to the Greenbrier Hotel in WV you can take a tour of the old bomb shelter which was supposed to be the place for members of congress to escape to in case of emerguency in Washington - that bomb shelter was secretly built to house up to 1000 people, and was active until the mid 80's when its cover was blown. Now it's just a a tourist stop. See: The Greenbrier's Bunker
    That's cool!
    peterbranton Posts: 123, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2011, 03:48 PM
    Me.

Jan 17, 2011, 03:49 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    Speacil cookies?

Jan 17, 2011, 03:50 PM
    Comment on peterbranton's post
    But not alone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Several things have happened to me over the years and. [ 6 Answers ]

Over the years several things have happened to me that I have had a hard time explaining... even to myself, much less to others. The 1st that sticks out in my mind happened when my daughter was an infant. It was an episode in which I was in bed w/ my husband and a young man w/a staff stood at the...

What's happened to the strange things are happening thread? [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering what's happened to this thread, as I've just written a lengthy reply to it. Anybody?

2012 doomsday [ 3 Answers ]

What do you think will happen on the 21st December 2012? :rolleyes: Will the earth change, be destroyed? Will it be the end? :eek: Discussion please!!

Things happened for a reason. [ 2 Answers ]

So I finally got pregnant after 8 years with my husband. Well first I lost some weight before my 25th birthday I was celebrating it in Vegas around that time I was very sexually active with my husband. I came back and felt very nauseas, my breast were in pain and I just felt different. I went to...

Things that happened today [ 13 Answers ]

Earlier, I was walking in the grocery store and was looking in the freezer section for some icecream my wife had asked for. I must have been concentrating because a lady pushed one of those huge "theme" carts that looks like a race car, right up next to me. I wasn't paying any attention, being...

View more questions Search